For those that like to see raccoons

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have several possums that roam my farm and come up to the house. They, like coons, are scavengers. We have one that is missing his tail completely. We nick named him stubby. He is a beta possum. There are some alpha possums running around that he is scared of and will retreat and leave the food he was eating when the alphas approach. My wife dumps all the food scraps out in the front yard. About dusk, they make their daily trot up through the yard to see what kind of treats they can find for the evening. We have several large coons that roam, too. As long as they don't bother anything around my house or out buildings, I leave them alone and let them do their thing.

Now, Squirrels, on the other hand, I have a total hate/hate relationship with those bastards. They chew on anything and everything, from steering wheels on equipment, to fuel lines, any type of plastic body panels to siding on the barns and anything else they decide looks like something they can hone their teeth on. Living in 25+ acres of mature woods, there is a never ending supply of moving targets.
Oh, I totally understand. There are times where nature overwhelms... though, mother nature usually finds a way to even everything out in the end. But, there are times one must take things in their own hands. We have coyotes that have gotten to the point where they aren't afraid of humans and have zero problems attacking smaller dogs, cats, etc..

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, I totally understand. There are times where nature overwhelms... though, mother nature usually finds a way to even everything out in the end. But, there are times one must take things in their own hands. We have coyotes that have gotten to the point where they aren't afraid of humans and have zero problems attacking smaller dogs, cats, etc..
I seriously doubt you could eradicate the squirrel population here. Too many of the little bastards and nothing in the food chain is really interested in chasing their little asses around and around the trees. We have a dense coyote population, also. You will never eradicate them. If you shoot a few of them, the females will have more kits in the liters to compensate for loss in the pac. My red fox population has gotten out of control. It's just about time to boil up some snares and set them up near their dens. A snare is just about the only thing that you can capture a red fox with. They are way too smart for no-kill traps. They killed off every one of my grand daughters chickens at the front of the farm early this spring. They grab the chickens, bring it back 1/3 of a mile back to my house in the woods and proceed to eat it on my front lawn. I see them running through the carport next to my house all the time on the cameras.