Follow up re camera installing

wpix123

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all thanks for the great recommendations.

I now have a question I have a finished basement and a connected brick house.

I would like cameras in the back and the front.

One guy told me he would put the NVR in the living room and run the Ethernet cable from the front of the house behind the gutter over the roof and connect to the cameras behind the house.

My friend said it's horrible idea re the cabling and location DVR prone to theft.

I was then told by someone else to run the camera via conduit piping and junction boxes through the basement with plastic covering ng and out the front with conduit piping, putting the DVR in the basement.

My question is which is better and is the labor for the conduit piping job worth the $1000 as quoted. The cameras and equipment another 1000. I can buy them myself and pay 4-500 but no warranty.

This is my first time doing this and I want it to look poorly done.

Is there any good reviews for backstreet surveillance? Their hdcvi system is in my budget. ~$600 or get the cat5 system for higher resolution and zoom.

Or just go with the hikvision 2342 I believe $125x4+$250nvr+$992tb drive.

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dee

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Whats the house like? If you have eaves you can mount the cameras there, fish the wire up inside and then thru the attic or even basement to the NVR.

$1000 is a lot, it can easily be done for less then 1/4 of that if you watch some youtube videos on installation and don't mind doing it yourself. I have three cameras wired thru conduit, mounted it all myself and spent about $75 bucks total. I'm eventually gonna wire one of those cameras up thru the eaves and into the interior of the house now that I am more comfortable fishing the cat6 tho.

As far as NVR placement, a lot of folks throw their NVR's up into a drop ceiling or in a closet and forget about it. As long as its not a place that will get ridiculously hot you should be completely fine. If you go with a PC NVR as opposed to a name brand you can even set up the PC for remote access and adjust any and all settings from a Laptop, tablet or smartphone and you won't need to use a keyboard/mouse/monitor with it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get a 3/4in conduit bender from LHS for $50 and run it your self, harbor freight has big honking masonry bits for a reasonable cost... the EMT conduit its self is cheap and can be painted easily to match whatever you install it on.. plus if you ground it, your metal cameras will be grounded too.. Youtube videos will teach you how to use the bender and it wont take long to be a pro, did I say EMT is cheap? wasting a piece or two on practice is no big deal given the cost of a pro.. Its the fittings that end up costing you so the bender will pay for its self avoiding nessicary cuts.. I use a saw-zaw w/metal blade and a vice clamp; it tears through it in a second and a quick tap with a file and its smooth and snagless.

Get cameras with local SD storage, fill them up with the biggest cards you can and have them record both to local storage and NVR, if they take the NVR you'll have the last day or so's footage at least, mebe at a lower quality.

Making it discrete is good but dont but it some place it will overheat or your HDD wont last the long haul.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@wpix123
If you are in the new york area as your screen name suggests contact member @vector18. His workmanship is superb. Most of the time you dont need exposed conduit at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
x2 for @vector18.. I'd trust him punch holes through my brick.

he'll also tell you if the places your planing on putting cameras are stupid instead of just taking your money and letting you find out the hard way heh

wpix123

n3wb
Reaction score
Get a 3/4in conduit bender from LHS for $50 and run it your self, harbor freight has big honking masonry bits for a reasonable cost... the EMT conduit its self is cheap and can be painted easily to match whatever you install it on.. plus if you ground it, your metal cameras will be grounded too.. Youtube videos will teach you how to use the bender and it wont take long to be a pro, did I say EMT is cheap? wasting a piece or two on practice is no big deal given the cost of a pro.. Its the fittings that end up costing you so the bender will pay for its self avoiding nessicary cuts.. I use a saw-zaw w/metal blade and a vice clamp; it tears through it in a second and a quick tap with a file and its smooth and snagless.

Get cameras with local SD storage, fill them up with the biggest cards you can and have them record both to local storage and NVR, if they take the NVR you'll have the last day or so's footage at least, mebe at a lower quality.

Making it discrete is good but dont but it some place it will overheat or your HDD wont last the long haul.
Thanks nayr what is lhs?

Local hardware store?
I have home depot and Lowe's close by.
As for YouTube can you link to some videos so I can get a idea what you are taking about. Some of this is Greek to me
Thanks Fenderman! Yes, if your in the NY area, let me take a look free of charge. I can usually run wires where other people think is impossible :)

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
x2 for @vector18.. I'd trust him punch holes through my brick.

he'll also tell you if the places your planing on putting cameras are stupid instead of just taking your money and letting you find out the hard way heh

Thank you buddy!