Fixed My New PTZ5A4Mx25's sloppy installation. How should I Fix this Better?

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Put up the new cam on my antenna mast recently, using a rented manlift and in too big a hurry.
The connection used the included "weather-tight" RJ45 sleeve, but no junction box was used. Because of the mast mount, I'm trying to avoid the added weight and stand-off distance that a proper pole mount and box combo would add.As a result of too much rushing and an incomplete tape-up, water got into the RJ45, corroded and blackened the contacts badly.

I borrowed a bucket truck to tackle the fix, expecting connector replacement (on the cat5) but not prepared for the necessity of replacing the camera's female RJ45.

I managed to attach a male connector there and had to use a silly male-male splice connector.

Secured it solidly, encased in shrink tube that I did not shrink... folded , tucked and (zip-) tied. It might last just like this for years, but I want to gather pieces so that the next time the opportunity arises, I can do a better job of it.
Are the female connectors available in a solder-up pigtail or am I screwed?
pictures on the way

IMG_9832.jpeg

IMG_9839.jpeg
IMG_9853.jpeg
IMG_9855.jpeg
IMG_9868.jpeg
IMG_9869.jpeg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At a minimum dielectric grease and self-fusing tape. The weather-tight sleeve that comes with the cameras are false security.

But if it will be exposed, you need to consider a way to protect it better. In a junction box or some other protection.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's the best approach to replace the camera's female connection?
I'm mulling over making a thorough solder-heat shrink-fully twisted and sleeved splice to add a twenty-foot lead to it so that testing can be done without aerial equipment and no other connection hardware to deal with up top. And that connection location could be readily protected.

Just thinking out loud.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
RJ45 female keystone jack is easiest.
Apparently that's the ONLY option, at least in my recent searching. I am hoping that someone offers something more... rugged(?)
Also, the wire used in the camera's pigtail is STRANDED and looks like to be maybe 26ga.
I don't think any version of punch-down block is likely to work.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used the keystones on a couple. They've worked fine. There are some more weather-resistant looking ones that you can find for a little more but I had the keystones handy and wrapped them up good anyway so didn't bother.

The surface-mount RJ45s with screw-down type terminals also are available.

Also more weather resistant couplers if you wanted to crimp a male end on and then plug in.

Look on AliExpress and you can find replacement cables with the same type connector. The trick is finding one that has the right connectors to plug into the boards inside the cam. Or you could just splice to the old cable. e.g.,

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would have used something like the PFA120 as a mount for the arm the camera mounts to. With that, you could stuff all the bulky cables, etc. inside of it protected from the elements. In reality, the arm itself has enough space to stuff all the cables/connectors into. All that would be exposed is the Ethernet cable running up to the camera.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PFA120 is the way to go in my opinion. I think that using flashing is going to be problematic in the long term. The PFA120 is not so heavy to cause problems with your mount. Personally, I would mount the box directly to the mast without the angle standoff. 3M 33 tape does not hold up well to weather or UV. Soldering each wire, then individual heat shrink, finally the whole thing heat shrinked would be best. Somebody mentioned an anaconda eating a rabbit?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned an anaconda eating a rabbit?
How about "a python that swallowed a goat? " I'll claim that honor! :lmao:

On Nov. 13, '21

And again on Jan. 4, '24

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And then there are these ==>> Cat5e 110-Type Inline Splice

Should fit in an outdoor junction box easily. There's a place for zip tie on each end to take the strain off the IDC jaws and put it on the CAT-5e outer jacket.
If no box, weatherproof with self-fusing tape, then 33+ as here. In any case use dielectric grease on 'em.

When done with weatherproofing, this would also qualify as "looks like a python swallowed a goat!" :winktongue:

cat5_splicebox1.jpg

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some interesting replies. gathering info ...
Not sure the PFA120 adds much except about in inch of depth.
I guess the approved method would be the PFA120 plus the PFA 150 pole mount (with different clamps).
I think the punch-down splice seen above is pretty cool. I'd probably lean toward using that splice plus a generic waterproof J-box alongside the mast.
Gathering ideas, ordering pieces; then the next time I have a bucket truck handy, I'll reconfigure.
In the mean time, the way that it is covered and secured, I feel like the current set-up might be good for a while.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I found these while I was ordering the punch-down splice...

Clearly not outdoor rated but they look really slick and could be boxed or sleeved
IMG_9899.jpeg
I'm curious if any of you are familiar with them?
VCELINK Tool-Free RJ45 Coupler Shielded, Tool Less Ethernet Cable Extender PoE+ for Cat7/Cat6a/Cat6 Network Cables 2 Pack, Silver

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^^^ Yes, it's a tool-less, slimmer, more streamlined version of that punch-down splice box I posted, similar only in that it uses IDC (Insulation Displacement) but I'd say it lends itself better to wrapping with self-vulcanizing tape then 3M 33+ to assist the cure. And that may be the way because at 2.87" in length + some decent bend radius of the CAT cable at each end puts it right at 4" in overall length, may not fit in most circular camera boxes.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking of it sleeved in adhesive-lined heat-shrink as a possible approach... at least it's another tool in the box of options.