Firmware for Costco Swann CONV16-B3MP8C NVR to work with Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

foreverjne

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have the Costco Swann CONV16-B3MP8C NVR that's been working for years now. At one point in the past, the firmware has been upgraded to 3.3.4 build 160816. I'm also able to connect a US retail Hikvision dome to the NVR.

Recently I've purchased a Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E camera to use with the Swann NVR. Unfortunately, the NVR only shows Swann protocol which is not compatible with this Dahua camera. I do recall seeing the ONVIF protocol on the NVR interface before I upgraded the firmware. So my conclusion is that my original older NVR firmware did support it. Now the protocol dropdown shows "SWANN" and an blank list item in the dropdown that's not selectable. The NVR's web interface only shows "SWANN" protocol in the protocol dropdown list.

Does anyone have a Swann or compatible Hikvision firmware for this NVR that may have the ONVIF protocol? I think this NVR is equivalent to Swann NVR16-7090.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have seen lots of movement by other brands on this recently as well....One has to wonder if these consumer grade brands are eliminating allowing non-brand to work with the NVR because they are getting inundated with support phone calls with people trying to use a different brand camera with the NVR...

foreverjne

n3wb
Reaction score
If I can't find a firmware that will allow Dahua cameras to work with this NVR, my next option would be getting a Hikvision NVR that works with Swann, Hikvision, and Dahua cameras. The Swann cameras I have are model SWNHD-825CAM which I believe are rebranded Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I. I'm not sure if DS-2CD2032-I has proper ONVIF support to work with Dahua NVR.

The Hikvision NVR I think may work would be the Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P or DS-7716NI-SP/16.

Dahua NVR-5216-16P-4KS2E looks like a candidate too except the Swann cameras may not work with it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that any manufacturer is going to say for best compatibility you should match brand of cameras to brand of NVR. That is the advice of members here to is to match brands.

While everything being ONVIF compliant helps, we see many posts here every month of people trying to mix-match and not everything work and looking for help.

if all you care about is recording and simple motion detection, you will probably be ok. But the AI in a Dahua camera will probably not work properly with a Hik NVR and vice versa...