Fine Angle Adjustments?

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What do people do for fine angle adjusts with LPR cameras zoomed out most or all the way? I currently have a pair of IPC-HDW5231E-Z12E cameras and the coarse adjustments on the mount drive me crazy (crazier?). First the teeth on the adjustment are very coarse. Next, in order to adjust the mount must be loosened so much that it has to be retightened before you can see the FOV. Half the time the camera rotates an extra tooth or two under its weight. Finally, the adjustments are non-orthogonal. You can't just move the camera left/right and up/down.

1) Is there the equivalent of a tip/tilt stage that could be placed between the wall and the base of the camera mount?
2) Are there cameras suitable for LPR that have better mounts?

I am looking to replace one of my 5231E-Z12E with something better. This particular camera has never been as sharp as the other one and it is hard to read some license plates. So I want a camera that will be better at night with around a 5 degree HFOV and I want something that is reasonable to adjust.

Any ideas?

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do people do for fine angle adjusts with LPR cameras zoomed out most or all the way? I currently have a pair of IPC-HDW5231E-Z12E cameras and the coarse adjustments on the mount drive me crazy (crazier?). First the teeth on the adjustment are very coarse. Next, in order to adjust the mount must be loosened so much that it has to be retightened before you can see the FOV. Half the time the camera rotates an extra tooth or two under its weight. Finally, the adjustments are non-orthogonal. You can't just move the camera left/right and up/down.

1) Is there the equivalent of a tip/tilt stage that could be placed between the wall and the base of the camera mount?
2) Are there cameras suitable for LPR that have better mounts?

I am looking to replace one of my 5231E-Z12E with something better. This particular camera has never been as sharp as the other one and it is hard to read some license plates. So I want a camera that will be better at night with around a 5 degree HFOV and I want something that is reasonable to adjust.

Any ideas?
I have a 5241-Z12E and I also had the tip/tilt issue which I solved by using 1 inch wood shims cut from a paint stir stick. In my case, I put one under the rear of the base and gently adjusted the screws to raise the front of the camera into my target area. Up and running since April with no problems especially after applying the newer firmware Andy recommended.

My Z12 is set at a 35º angle to a 75' target area. The night time exposure is 1/1000 with Gain 0-50 and Iris @ 100. IR is off and 3D NR is 50. My Zoom is 800 with a Focus of 1600. The frame rates are 20/20 with an 8196 bitrate.