Few functionality queries on BI

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On Latest BI 4.2.8.2

Had a few queries.. trying to understand BI to adjust my workflow

1) On the clips section (right hand side) how do I filter only jpgs (screenshots) or bvr (current recordings) or mp4 (previous recording)? Becuase I would like to select such and delete only say all screenshots.. or things like that.. want to be able to filter by file type?

2) Did a DB regenerate - it removed all the -> (arrow) symbol. I am guessing it means those files where transferred to another folder and now marked as completed? Is DB regeneration a scheduled task?

3) If during normal recording.. I stop BI (traffic light), will it start converting the till date files to mp4 ? I have seen some BVR files left in the recording folder which are missing from clips and never converted to mp4 / moved to the archive folder ?

4) Just deleted all clips.. now BI detected an old bvr file in the archive folder and started converting it.. that was the only clip left i guess because for some reason it wasn't in the clip list .. so it detected it in the folder , added to list and started conversion?

more queries soon :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@its
1)Is there a specific reason you are saving jpegs? this is generally not necessary. You can save the jpegs to an aux folder and sort them that way. You should not need to manually delete any files, that defeats the purpose of the automation blue iris provides.
2) see clips and archiving tab, compact and repair is a scheduled task
3) why are you converting bvr to mp4..despite the fact that this can now be done without reencoding its still consumes cpu cycles. You likely have combine and cut set so the file is still open for writing.
4) if its queued to convert it will convert it.

Last edited by a moderator:

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@its
1)Is there a specific reason you are saving jpegs? this is generally not necessary. You can save the jpegs to an aux folder and sort them that way. You should not need to manually delete any files, that defeats the purpose of the automation blue iris provides.
2) see clips and archiving tab, compact and repair is a scheduled task
3) why are you converting bvr to mp4..despite the fact that this can now be done without reencoding its still consumes cpu cycles. You likely have combine and cut set so the file is still open for writing.
4) if its queued to convert it will convert it.
1) JPG are saved because on motion it takes a pic and mails me ? not needed to save in BI itself? how? I would like to be able to select file types and delete them .. say in a scenario just keep the long recorded files and delete all jpgs / small mp4 which are made on motion. If I have it configured in email alert to attach image then I don't really need to do the jpg saving?

2) Yep.. thanks

3) So BVR to MP4 doesn't save any space? Basically I am trying to get balance between space and compact files v/s processor usage. I am happy to keep BVR files if conversion to mp4 is not useful in any case?

4) Thanks.. althought it was missing from the clips one.. once i did a delete all from clips.. it was empty.. on regenarate DB it saw the file and started to convert it.

Another query

5) Have attached a baby cam to BI which has temperate and sound controls. BI doesn't give that alert control right? I mean alert on temperature high or sound above a certain dB?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) you should not need to save a jpeg for the email alerts. Jpegs take relativity little space, micromanaging them is a waste of your time.
3) no it saves no space
5) BI can be triggered by volume...see the camera properties>audio tab. You can alert by temp if you had an external interface that can communicate with blue iris, likely cannnot get the camera to do that.