external IP changes

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, my external IP changed, while we were away for the weekend, which means I had no access to the cameras remotely all weekend. Don't want that to happen again!!! So is DynDNS.org the way to go to prevent this? I am not sure if I can set a static external IP in my router. I have a lynksys WRT54GS. There is a tab in setup for choosing a DDNS provider. It has both DynDNS.org and TZO.com listed in their drop down choices. Is this the way I should go to prevent this from happening again? I don't mind paying a small yearly fee.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thats interesting it even got changed then again my ip after 6 years with comcast finally changed last week.

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea, not happy it changed so soon. (only had these cameras about a month) Having to change all the different remote access bookmarks on different laptops/phones is a pain if it needs to be done this often!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, my external IP changed, while we were away for the weekend, which means I had no access to the cameras remotely all weekend. Don't want that to happen again!!! So is DynDNS.org the way to go to prevent this? I am not sure if I can set a static external IP in my router. I have a lynksys WRT54GS. There is a tab in setup for choosing a DDNS provider. It has both DynDNS.org and TZO.com listed in their drop down choices. Is this the way I should go to prevent this from happening again? I don't mind paying a small yearly fee.
There are some free services like no-ip (i believe you have to remember to log into your account once a month..)..they have a paid subscription as well
I personally use dyndns so i dont have to hassle...
You can use any service, your router does not have to support it...that all have a little app you can run on your pc that updates your ip address.

Daffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's how I look at it, I paid good money for the cameras and ancillary hardware. I paid for BI and myself a dedicated laptop for the task of running it. My labor to install and set everything up and document all settings for reference.

The extra $$ for a static ip so I don't have to risk yet another server(s) to be hacked and have access to my network in any way,? Worth it to me.

Yes you can ping my public ip and port scan it and find the open ports, I bid you the best of luck to get through, I'll even go so far as to say my un is "admin".

Could it be hacked? certainly, would the average hacker become discouraged after a day or two of trying?, absolutely. Then my alert to intrusive behavior on my network would prompt me to dig into my archives and pull out some bad juju for the efforts.

Spent a lot of time back in the early 80's "playing games".

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's how I look at it, I paid good money for the cameras and ancillary hardware. I paid for BI and myself a dedicated laptop for the task of running it. My labor to install and set everything up and document all settings for reference.

The extra $$ for a static ip so I don't have to risk yet another server(s) to be hacked and have access to my network in any way,? Worth it to me.

Yes you can ping my public ip and port scan it and find the open ports, I bid you the best of luck to get through, I'll even go so far as to say my un is "admin".

Could it be hacked? certainly, would the average hacker become discouraged after a day or two of trying?, absolutely. Then my alert to intrusive behavior on my network would prompt me to dig into my archives and pull out some bad juju for the efforts.

Spent a lot of time back in the early 80's "playing games".
Having a static ip address has zero affect on whether you are hack-able or not...in fact, it makes it easier because your ip address never changes so they can keep trying...
The risk is exactly the same as using a dynamic dns service...paying for a static ip address is a complete waste of money..cancel the service, take the saved money and buy more cameras, dinner etc..:)

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased the yearly subscription with dyndns. I downloaded and set up the DYN Updater. It seems to be working. I can access the BI remote viewer using the dyndns address I set up. I am not so sure i entered the correct IP in the DynDNS settings though. I was a little confused about that. I first entered the external IP address (the one that shows on whatismyip.com and the one that changed this weekend) however in the Dyn Updater it looks like it was supposed to have been the IPV4 address? Which one am I supposed to enter in Dyndns settings and in the updater?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased the yearly subscription with dyndns. I downloaded and set up the DYN Updater. It seems to be working. I can access the BI remote viewer using the dyndns address I set up. I am not so sure i entered the correct IP in the DynDNS settings though. I was a little confused about that. I first entered the external IP address (the one that shows on whatismyip.com and the one that changed this weekend) however in the Dyn Updater it looks like it was supposed to have been the IPV4 address? Which one am I supposed to enter in Dyndns settings and in the updater?
you need to enter your external ip address like you did...
Dyndns simply monitors the external address, when it changes it redirects your custom hostname to your new ip address...

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, cool. It just seemed too easy to get it all setup! I usually end up with all kinds of problems so I thought this was too easy and suspicious that it worked right off the bat. :laugh: Thanks!

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do I need to change this now in BI also? In the Options -> Web Server tab -> External IP address -> do I now put in the Dyndns name address I set up? Or do I leave it as is with the external IP numbers and set to check for router external IP automatically every 15 min?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do I need to change this now in BI also? In the Options -> Web Server tab -> External IP address -> do I now put in the Dyndns name address I set up? Or do I leave it as is with the external IP numbers and set to check for router external IP automatically every 15 min?
No, Blue iris is simply telling you what your current ip address is..in fact you cant even change that entry..there is no need or point in doing so.

Daffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Having a static ip address has zero affect on whether you are hack-able or not...in fact, it makes it easier because your ip address never changes so they can keep trying...
The risk is exactly the same as using a dynamic dns service...paying for a static ip address is a complete waste of money..cancel the service, take the saved money and buy more cameras, dinner etc..:)
I respect your input, I really do.

You say the risk is the same whether I run through their server or use my own static ip. I see their server as the hole in the security, not as an equal to my own.

I'll grant you that any traffic on the net can be broached, Pretty much why I have a job installing and maintaining private line for those that require it.

FWIW I do utilize my static for more than my cams as well.

My bottom line is this, I trust not one company with my personal network security. I have gone to great lengths to keep my personal life secured as much as "humanly" possible. I have gone so far as to utilize prepaid visa for online purchases and keep a separate card for different online activities. I once was had and it was a PITA to straighten things out, never again.

Trusting some other network entity to be secure? no more than I have to.

No I don't wear tin foil hats, but I am very aware of the holes created by each and every person that has the ability to do so on any given network. Shoulda kept some of the stuff found within NT and 95 back in the day..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I respect your input, I really do.

You say the risk is the same whether I run through their server or use my own static ip. I see their server as the hole in the security, not as an equal to my own.

I'll grant you that any traffic on the net can be broached, Pretty much why I have a job installing and maintaining private line for those that require it.

FWIW I do utilize my static for more than my cams as well.

My bottom line is this, I trust not one company with my personal network security. I have gone to great lengths to keep my personal life secured as much as "humanly" possible. I have gone so far as to utilize prepaid visa for online purchases and keep a separate card for different online activities. I once was had and it was a PITA to straighten things out, never again.

Trusting some other network entity to be secure? no more than I have to.

No I don't wear tin foil hats, but I am very aware of the holes created by each and every person that has the ability to do so on any given network. Shoulda kept some of the stuff found within NT and 95 back in the day..
I understand your concern for security and you have valid reasons to be concerned. I think the issue here is simply a misunderstanding of how dynamic dns works. No data is going through their server. Let me explain.
Say you have have a dynamic external ip address that is currently 111.11.11.11..you can use this to access your cameras if you port forwarded properly.
The problem arises when your provider changes your ip address to 222.22.22.22
With a service like dyndns you pay for a host name for example mycams342.dyndns.org and you continually update any changes to your ip address (via your router or camera or desktop background application).
When you type in mycams342.dyndns.org into your remote phone or remote web browser dyndns simply provides your dns server with the proper ip address 222.22.22.22...you are connected directly to your home pc, there is no middle man.
Honestly they are ripping you off. If you are really concerned, spend your money on a good VPN setup. You are paying for nothing - zero benefit and I dont want to see you waste your money. How much are you paying for a static ip address? generally its at least 20-30 a month more..
Not sure if I made sense but rest assured your data is not going though the dynamic dns providers servers.