Excess wire degrading the signal?

Reaction score
Hello. I just installed an 8 camera, wired, Night Owl XHD system (bought from Costco about 4 years ago). So far I have installed 6 cameras, 3 of which are close to the DVR and needed no extension wires, and 3 that are farther away which needed extension wires. The 3 closer cameras have excellent images. The 3 with extension wires have degraded signals resulting in images that wiggle and exhibit waves of tonality. Here is a photo of the excess wire. From the left, the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th bundles are the distant cameras with the extensions. Should I cut this excess wire out of the 3 distant cameras? If yes, can I use wire nuts to re-attach the ends or should I solder the wires back together? Thanks!NightOwlCables.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't cut anything and definitely don't solder or wire nut anything. I'm assuming those are IP cameras, not being a fan/user of NightOwl. If they are IP cameras I'd suggest buying a bulk box of CAT5e, or better, cable, some RJ45s, a crimper and a cheap cable tester. Then you can make the cables fit for each location. If you do that, be sure to use solid copper wire, not CCA (copper clad aluminum) and, if the cable is exposed to sunlight or weather, use appropriately rated cable. For implicity when installing the RJ45s there are "pass through" styled connectors that will make installing them much easier. You also need to maintain 568B wiring/color code on both ends which is why you want the cable tester.

Another tip is to get a tube of dielectric grease and put a small dab on each connector at the camera end. Then wrap it with Coax Seal or equivalent rubberized, self vulcanizing, tape followed with a couple of layers of quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or 88. Moisture, even minor condensation, in those connectors will wreak havoc and cause failure eventually.

As with everything, something that is advertised as being "simple" always, somehow, seem to turn into a major project. Been there, done that, all too often myself.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe that is analog with BNC connectors - definitely do not cut those and try to shorten.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
"images that wiggle and exhibit waves of tonality" sounds like analog to me. Intuitively I think getting rid of the excess cable would help, but it could be tricky without making it worse. Needs good cable, good connectors, and the ability to attach the connector correctly. Being a new installation I feel it's kind of heartless to coldly say rip it out and go to an IP camera system, yet I strongly feel that putting much time or money into an analog system is a waste at the current level of technology. I think the only feasible way to shorten an extension cable would be to cut it to length and attach a new connector on the cut end. The are (or at least were in the past) BNC connectors that can be attached without a crimper. Just as with network cable, there are different quality levels with coax. A big difference is copper core vs. steel core, and another is the type of shielding. The longer the distance the more the cable quality matters. Just as a shot in the dark, with one of the poor quality camera cables, try uncoiing the tight bundle and see if that affects the picture. If it's low quality cable I think it could maybe make a difference.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't mean to rip out the system and put in another one. Just trying to offer help IF it is and IP system. Actually the same applies to a composite system. Get bulk wire, BNC connectors and replace everything with cable cut to fit. Again, the same cautions regarding solid copper cable and appropriate ratings for weather and/or UV protection. A cable tester wouldn't be needed and a simple VOM would do the trick for that.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont think this is an IP cam, right? That looks like nothing I'd see on an IP cam, and those wires don't look like Ethernet

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The cable appears to be 2-conductor, so assuming this is an analog system with power & signal cables to each cam. Never a good idea to loop a power cable, which may be cause of the instable image.
Remove the loops & extend the cable (either to the cam or back to the nvr), cut & re-terminate.

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The best alternative is to use BNC adapters with cat5 or 6 cable to your existing camera location, this way you get rid of excessive wiring. You can make your cable lines or buy pre-made lines to the needed length to reach your analog camera’s. You future proof your home with Ethernet cable down the line if you decide to upgrade to IP camera’s. If you made holes large enough to pass the bnc cables when you did your installation, you’ll definitely have room to add 2 -3 cat 5/6 cable through the diameter that you made. That way if you choose to add an additional analog or IP camera the extra wiring is in place. That’s how I started with BNC adapters and cat 6 cable with Pelco analog camera system. IP camera’s were to expensive 20 years ago, now it’s more affordable. I currently have Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 with 12 cams with audio at every location of my residence.

IMG_3591.jpg
You’ll get rid off the excessive leftover wiring and have an overall better image on your monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like analogue DVR coaxial cables? Indeed as others have suggested. Remove the unnecessary cable length, as it may cause a impedance and power interference as your experiencing.

Reaction score
Oh the joy of pre made leads. Firstly if a power pair is with the coax lead aswell so shot gun, the power leads tend to be to thin so get a voltage drop which could quire easily do that to images. Secondly the " coax" cable is stupidly thin so not great with long runs.

Best bet don't do it yourself. Pay a professional to run rg59 which is thicker and the ran to exact length. Myself I ten run cat7 as power for analogue cameras as then it future proofs it to be able to also go ip in the future if everything goes ip.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use something like this: