Ethernet cable with 4 solid white wires

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve got some direct burial Ethernet cable with 4 pairs of twisted wire. Standard colors. Orange, blue, green and brown. The wires that are supposed to be striped to the corresponding color are all solid white. Anyone ran into this before?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Try stripping back a bit more of the outer jacket and/or inspect the wires at the other end of the cable. I've seen some CAT cable have a subtle marking of the "striped" color on the white conductors

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen it sometime in the past. Just keep the pairs intact. Easy to say but I do see how that increases the workload of terminating the wires, and the risk of mixing up the whites. If you don't have even one of the stupid cable testers it might be worth getting one, though they won't catch making the exact same mistake on both ends. Maybe mark the whites with colored markers while untwisting the pairs?

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought about marking them because it’s difficult to tell once inside the connector.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Odd... their image does not seem to depict any striped conductors either
1681324884068.png

I thought about marking them because it’s difficult to tell once inside the connector.
As long as you are mindful when you terminate the end, it does not matter once it is crimped ;)

Contact manufacturer to see if this is their standard spec for that part number, then decide on exchanging for a correctly marked item.

Did you get it for a good price? If so, consider working with it :idk:

Reaction score
I'm not doubting what you are saying you saw. But the data sheet in the link seems to suggest there should not be any all white cables.

View attachment 159805
Sorry, but I disagree. It specifically states white. It does not state Blue w/white stripe. It states White/Blue and I take that to mean the pair is a white and a blue wire.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
AH-HAH!

OP's cut sheet denotes the berk-tek product under the Leviton company umbrella. @CaptainCrunch found a spec sheet showing the berk-tek product belonging to the Nexans company.

Looks like Nexans company was more accurate...

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score