Enhancement Software

Reaction score
CSI: Miami - "Can you enhance that?"
Of course!

Tonight I ran across a post elsewhere from a friend that does digital photo work. You know, cleaning up photos, making enlargements, restoring old portraits, etc. He posted about this AI software called Gigapixel AI from Topaz Labs. The examples he showed looked pretty good. So I downloaded their trial version. I was really hoping for the silver bullet. Well no silver bullet, but maybe a silver pellet.

I watched the included tutorials and played around with it for about an hour. I am impressed on how well it handles faces in zoomed in pics. Each of these has the original on the left and the processed on the right.

This one is at 2X. Kid tossing some cheese on my front lawn from a pickup truck on Feb 13th at 8:40 pm. Not a bad enhancement. Cam is a Dahua B5442E-Z4E set at 27mm.

1652415510938.png

Here is the original capture. It is the kid in the back seat.

InkedIntersection 2022-02-13 08.39.14.414 PM_LI.jpg

This next one is me back in April at 6:40am headed to the range and is at 4x original. Cam is a Dahua T2231T-ZS-S2 set at 9.2mm.

1652415748484.png

This is the original full capture.
Front Porch Lookig East 2022-04-17 06.40.38.958 AM.jpg

This last one is of me returning from the range at 1:50pmand is also at 4x magnification. This cam is a Dahua T5442TM-AS in 2.8mm.

1652415948704.png

Here is the original capture.

Porch Front Door 2022-04-17 01.52.54.398 PM.jpg

Now I did try some other caps but they did not impress me, so I did not include them here. Obviously I am not an expert at this software, just mucked around with it for a while.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. I have seen this before and some others, and like you it is very hit or miss.

What else is interesting is they use the same pricing model as BI:

Your purchase automatically comes with one year of active upgrades from the date of purchase. Once that year passes, your upgrade license for that program will end until you choose to renew it.

Even though your program upgrades have expired, you can continue to use the program that you own and have installed, but you would need to renew your upgrade license in order to receive the most up-to-date versions of the program after that expiration date. To know what version you own and what the newest version of that program is just scan to the right and you'll see it.