English firmware difficulty

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was poking around on Ali and came to the realization that it is getting very difficult to get a camera with english firmware. I don't really see cameras that say "english firmware" or "multilanguage firmware" on the camera ads. I saw a few cameras that I liked and messaged the store to inquire about the firmware only to get answered that the firmware is chinese. I even saw a few stores say that they firmware is chinese in the description of the camera web page, but they are willing to "help" you translate this.

How does Ali expect to sell to the USA if the english interface is so difficult to find? What do people here do, only buy english firmware or just assume it is going to be Chinese and they will have to hack into it to get the english menus?

That is becoming very frustrating.

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just searched "4mp Hikvision" and almost every seller advertises English or Multi Language. What search terms are you using or model number your after? Some sellers may be protecting themselves not advertising English or Multi versions.

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c5GijOjq[/QUOTE] Hmmm... well, I have a Dahua NVR, and I tried your search terms (i am looking for 4mp cameras) but instead substituted "Dahua" in place of Hikvision.....apparently that is the problem. None to be found. Some banners on the camera pics even say "chinese firmware". So...I guess I am now limited to Hikvision. So be it. I should have been more specific in saying that I would have preferred a Dahua model due to my NVR being a Dahua rebranded one (Nelly's 16 port non poe nvr). I wonder what gives with Dahua's firmware on Ali?

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm... well, I have a Dahua NVR, and I tried your search terms (i am looking for 4mp cameras) but instead substituted "Dahua" in place of Hikvision.....apparently that is the problem. None to be found. Some banners on the camera pics even say "chinese firmware". So...I guess I am now limited to Hikvision. So be it. I should have been more specific in saying that I would have preferred a Dahua model due to my NVR being a Dahua rebranded one (Nelly's 16 port non poe nvr). I wonder what gives with Dahua's firmware on Ali?

Heres a turret and appears to have an English OSD , theres a few more on there. I never dealt with this brand, so not exactly sure. Also some on ebay that appear to be English. Confirm with the seller though since its a concern.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-IPC-HDW4421C-IR-IP-Camera-4MP-Full-HD-Network-IR-security-cctv-DH-IPC-HDW4421C/32407581743.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.10.9fwRTb&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

Last edited by a moderator: