Dual-NIC Blue Iris PC and Ubiquiti Unifi devices

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IP Cam Talk is by far my favorite user forum due to the knowledge/experience of its members and their willingness to help and share!

I'm hoping somebody is using a same or similar configuration that the thread title indicates and can give me some guidance on how to deal with following:

I'm currently bench testing this type of setup. Cameras are on second NIC (LAN2) along with a pair of Unifi NS-5AC Nanostations and a USW-Flex PoE switch on the station (remote) side of the Nano AirMAX link.
The Nanos are talking to each other. Cameras on the access point Nano and those on the station Nano/Flex switch are configured and working with Blue Iris. I can manage the cameras using IE.

These Nanos have built-in WiFi management radios and I used my iPhone and the relevant app to configure them. They have static LAN 2 IP addresses. Since they have their own web interfaces, I can access and manage them from the Blue Iris PC via a web browser.

So everything is working except if/when I need to manage the Flex switch.

The Flex switch has no web interface and has to be set up and managed by a Ubiquiti controller instance, either installed locally on the PC or accessed remotely from UI.com. I originally set up the Flex by giving it a LAN1 address but it needs to physically be on LAN2 as the cameras are wired to it.

So, since LAN 2 has no internet access for the cameras, I'm having problems reliably accessing/managing the switch via either type of controller. The controller does not see it on LAN2. I've tried giving it a static LAN2 address...still no success.

I've tried temporarily bridging the two NICs on the Blue Iris PC and also with a separate laptop's ethernet and WiFi access but I can't seem to get this bridging to work reliably. It appears as though there's some weirdness with Windows 10 bridging that spits out a configuration error. Over the course of 3 days, I've gotten it to work only twice, and only with the laptop. When the laptop bridging does work, all is good.

So, I'm open to suggestions or solutions for a reliable workaround/fix or some other networking solution.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If the switch supports vlans, create a main network VLAN, assign it a network IP from your main LAN, tag 1 of the ports to this VLAN and then plug a cable from your main network into that port.

That is what I do with my HP managed switch.

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the switch supports vlans, create a main network VLAN, assign it a network IP from your main LAN, tag 1 of the ports to this VLAN and then plug a cable from your main network into that port.

That is what I do with my HP managed switch.
Unfortunately, the switch will physically be located distant to the main LAN and only connected via the Nanostations...I can't run a cable to it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Then you’ll just have to manage it by RDP-ing to the BI PC, can’t think of another way of doing it.

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I RDP to the Blue Iris PC now; it's currently headless.
That does not give me the access I'm looking for.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If the BI PCis dual NIC and the switch is on one of those NICs then I can’t see why you can’t connect to manage it.

On my HP switch I’ve created 2 VLANs assigned an IP address to the VLAN for the LAN and I can logon from my BI PC and manage the switch using either IP address.

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No worries, IAmATeaf, I appreciate your efforts.