DS-2CD2387G2-LU 4mm 8MP ColorVu out of focus, black pixels when zoomed in?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The one I have issues with was bought from an AliExpress seller (not a forum member) and I noticed the bottom seal on the box had been broken. So anything could have happened to it. I guess they know people are unlikely to pay the costs to return a camera to China.

I have had issues with other Hik low light models being out of focus in the past. Their varifocal models definitely come with a lot higher quality lenses inside. (I've got the older models in varifocal and fixed lens models.)

cameranerd

n3wb
Reaction score
The seller has approved my return including shipping costs so I'll be packing it up and shipping back to China.
I suspect that the lens is not manufactured properly as the entire right side of the frame is blurry or it's also possible the lens is not seated flush with the sensor.
I do have some varifocal cameras and they autofocus tack sharp. Hikvision don't currently make a varifocal in the 4K G2 colorvu so fixed focal length is the only option.
In any case, I don't have to pull the camera apart to attempt a repair. Hopefully the replacement camera will be sharp in focus across the frame from the minimum focal distance.

cameranerd

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased the 2.8mm version for my driveway as a replacement for my faulty 4mm as there is no stock of the 4mm version. My observations.

I've attached a photo standing 5m from the camera. This time I was walking so there is slight motion blur in comparision to the static parts of the image.
Camera is at 4k, 15fps, h265, 6144 bitrate, video quality highest, smoothing 50%
The frame is in sharp focus on both sides till 10m from the camera.
After 10m it softens a little, but the clarity is very acceptable considering the cost of these cameras and the lens optics.
The 2.8mm version has more obvious chromatic aberration (red and blue fringing in high contrast areas) than the 4mm version. You don't notice it in this particular image as it's midday. I do see CA later in the afternoon.
I think that the F1.0 aperture has low light full night colour benefits but it also has its downsides with regards to depth of field from front to back.

I am perfectly happy now with the performance of this new camera. I will consider replacing it with a 4mm version when they are back in stock and moving this camera to another area that needs the ultra-wide 2.8mm field of view.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 3.45.56 pm.png

OfficerD00fy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am also experience LHS focus issues, is replacing it the only option? I am in AUS also

bogchop

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got the 4mm cam. My old vs new photos below - front door entry to house.

Older 4mp, 4mm mini-dome Hik:
old_hik_NVR_IP Camera2_NVR_20231230080544_687297824.jpg

Newer DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL
new_hikNVR_IP Camera2_NVR_20231231082118_302748391.jpg

The sides of the door entry are blurry, the small little green box plants are incredibly messy looking, while the tree on the left is in/out of focus depending on where you look. I'm also finding the exposed aggregate footpath to be incredibly blurry up until you hit about 1m from the gate.

Another AU user here - bought from seemingly reputable Aliexpress seller. $280 felt better than $420. Not sure if I crack it open and adjust it myself.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Just got the 4mm cam. My old vs new photos below - front door entry to house.

Older 4mp, 4mm mini-dome Hik:
View attachment 181272

Newer DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL
View attachment 181273

The sides of the door entry are blurry, the small little green box plants are incredibly messy looking, while the tree on the left is in/out of focus depending on where you look. I'm also finding the exposed aggregate footpath to be incredibly blurry up until you hit about 1m from the gate.

Another AU user here - bought from seemingly reputable Aliexpress seller. $280 felt better than $420. Not sure if I crack it open and adjust it myself.
Looks shite send it back as not fit for purpose.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That will be because the minimum focus distance is 6.2m for the 4mm model.
Depth of Field
2.8 mm: 4 m to ∞
4 mm: 6.2 m to ∞
from DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the same camera same 4mm lens and no focus problems whatsoever.

View attachment 181280
You'd need to compare the distance to objects e.g. distance from the camera to side fence etc. Your camera may be higher off the ground and doesn't appear to have any close objects in view.

The focus can be adjusted to bring closer objects into focus, but it will affect the focus on distant objects.