DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL with IR illumination?

roserez

n3wb
Reaction score
The DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL has white light illumination. Is it sensitive to 940nm IR so I can use external (invisible) IR illumination instead? I don't expect to see color, I just want to take advantage of the large sensor and large aperture lens.

Thanks!

- Mike

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope the full color type cameras do not see infrared, so if you don't have enough light or don't want to use the built-in white light, you are better off with a camera that can see infrared.

Unfortunately the 1/1.2" sensor cameras do not see infrared.

roserez

n3wb
Reaction score
That's really unfortunate. Night vision is the best use case for large sensor / large aperture camera and invisibilty is important. I'm interested in wildlife in dark, unlit places and would love to place IR floodlights everyhere and just watch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. One of these days hopefully we will see a 1/1.2" sensor with infrared capabilities!

roserez

n3wb
Reaction score
It would seem that based on specs, the PCI-T18F2S would be the best choice for night with IR. Would you agree?

Thanks!

- Mike

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same thing on my wishlist: large sensor IR camera. I also have the PCI-T18f2s. I like the 4k resolution for daytime. At night, the image quality is acceptable. Can keep an eye on my chickens, which are 16 feet away. Can even see if their eyes are open or if they are breathing, for example. Can see the kids get dropped off at night about 50ft away and easily recognize them.
Eric

roserez

n3wb
Reaction score
Just checking on my existing cameras, I see I have several DS-2CD2386G2-I which have identical specs as the PCI-T18f2s in term of image hardware: 1/1.8" 4k sensor, f/1.6 2,8mm lens. So I guess I know already what to expect. To bad about DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL with it's 1/1.2" sensor and f/1.0 lens. That is a LOT more light. HOWEVER - looking more closely at the specs for the DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL, I'm suspicious of the claimed sensor size. The field of view is stated as 102 degrees which better matches with a 1/1.8" sensor - NOT a 1/1.2" sensor. Either the sensor size is misstated, the field of view is misstated or the lens focal length is misstated.