DS-2CD2332-I Outside Installation...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had two Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras running outside our building for a year, and they functioned pretty darn good, except when it rained. At first I thought that (when it rained) water was getting inside the cameras because the image being displayed was "foggy." Then I realized it was most likely IR reflection. So we broke out the fork lift and the man cage and it was up 30-feet to replace the two DS-2CD2032-I cams with two new Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I cameras. Incidentally, when I opened the junction box after a year it was dry as a bone, despite the two bottom tubes being open and exposed to the elements which was the effect I was hoping for when I first installed it a year ago. In addition, I'm using POE to power these cameras, so I used Coax Seal moisture proof sealing tape to seal the power adapter inputs for each camera (as shown below). FYI, the two cameras and the box are mounted on King StarBoard® which is might pricey stuff but apprears to be a very good material for durable installations.

Incidentally, I would not recommend working at this height on a ladder. Use a fork lift with a cage, a scissor-lift, or a boom lift.

Unfortunately I did a bad job aligning Outside 1 so we'll have to break out the fork lift and try that again. Urgh. :sad2:

But it rained for 3-days and no more "foggy" picture. Yea! :)

Here are some pictures of the install...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only thing I would have done differently...... Loaded up those cam housings and j-box with a few dozen 1 ounce desiccant packets... You can never be too careful about moisture..

LOL Was that wrong..? too soon I know....... :eek:nthego:

In all seriousness, Nice Job and looks good. Did you seal up the pipes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I would have done differently...... Loaded up those cam housings and j-box with a few dozen 1 ounce desiccant packets... You can never be too careful about moisture..

LOL Was that wrong..? too soon I know....... :eek:nthego:
HAHA, its never too soon.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I was intending to jerry-rig a 50-gallon hopper of desiccant on the roof with a moisture-activated gravity feed thing-a-ma-jig to pipe that desiccant down as needed.

Pipes remain open bro...

Q™ said:
...Incidentally, when I opened the junction box after a year it was dry as a bone, despite the two bottom tubes being open and exposed to the elements which was the effect I was hoping for when I first installed them...

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may want to plug the pipes (perma-gun works well), not for moisture but to keep the "crawlers" out.. That said, perhaps at that height, I don't think the box would be accessed very often. (no fun opening a box with a hive inside let me tell ya) :miserable: