Doorchecker

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bad guy has to be shown to have had the Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy (Intent)

In many states we have Stand your ground type laws that allow you to use deadly force if the above conditions are met, wherever you may happen to be.

At your home some states (like mine :)) also have Presumption. This means the State of Florida presumes the person entering your house forcibly, intends you death or great bodily harm and no further justification is needed.

Again generally speaking, you do NOT have the right to use lethal force for defense of property.
Also, in some states you have a duty to retreat, especially outside your home.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
And I just checked with my gun law guru buddy who is still very much teaching at the national level. He says there are no more states that still have DTR within the home, though Assachusettes is questionable...they do have a Castle Doctrine rule

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having a duty to retreat
It's certainly a bit nuanced, but instances like someone getting shot for ringing someone's doorbell or delivering a package are why it exists.

There are also fun cases like that video of someone unloading a gun through their apartment door when someone tried to kick it down. They didn't hit the burglar or any bystanders, so it stayed out of the courts and it was texas iirc. Should he technically have waited until they breached the door to open fire?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yep agreed.

We always taught to take cover in a stand off position where you can see the door, be on the phone with LE if possible, and wait for it come come crashing in before you decide whether its necessary to shoot or not. . Personally its the same reason I have a flashlight on my home defense weapons. I want to be able to positively ID what I'm shooting at.

Now if there is incoming fire from outside the door it gets even trickier....

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m cold at about anything under 80. I could wear that balaclava at 64, in the shade, sitting still. Walking, during the day, not a chance. He’s up to no good
As I have aged well past the 70 year old mark, just the opposite is true for me. I grew up in the Palm Springs, Ca. area and temperatures in the high one teens were quite common during the Summer. Usually on one or two days it would reach 120 degrees. Anything under 70 degrees required a jacket. Now anything above 75 is getting too hot for me. I now prefer the upper 60's.

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Range 0-7
Backlight- HLC - 51
Illuminators 100%
Bitrate 16384 CBR 30FPS

Its an early production unit, I suppose I could upgrade the FW, but....

Night02062024.jpg

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Range 0-7
Backlight- HLC - 51
Illuminators 100%
Bitrate 16384 CBR 30FPS

Its an early production unit, I suppose I could upgrade the FW, but....

View attachment 185373
I have been trying to avoid any backlight at least at night. But with the sun etc in living room and at certain spots outside I have enabled WDR. Is HLC a better option for smoothing out light etc ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I use HLC on that cam because car headlights hit it square on coming down the street and blow out the image for 250 ft solid.
Dont use any backlight if not completely necessary.

HLC is for reducing the glare/overexposure of bright lights. As far as I can tell it does NOT cause motion blur. Most other Backlight settings, especially WDR, DO cause motion blur.

This is at night. During the day with faster shutter speed and a lot more light, you can get away with backlight more (WDR) because the faster shutter and light minimize the blur

Last edited: