DMSS When Mobile (On Cell Data)

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you specifically blocking outgoing traffic in your router? If not, then the NVR is going out.

I have blocked in and out for all my cameras and NVR and only allow out on certain ports (8888, 2197, 2195, 443, 587, 5223) and to the Apple notificaton range 17.0.0.0/8
The NVR is not blocked in the router... just the cams.

I don't fully understand "Apple notification range". I expect there's the same for Android, but I'm not following how my NVR's notification is identified there as being associated with my mobile or an app on it.

Obviously I'm not Mr Networking and IoT, so apologies to all if I'm coming across quite dull in the head. I appreciate everyone's patience.

Cheers, Steve

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Barboots, I don't even think that update feature even works. In Andy's forum, you will find the various version 4 firmwares that he released. You can also find them here: https://dahuawiki.com/images/Files/Firmware/?C=M;O=A and here Index of /Firmware/Rejestratory/NVR/NVR4xxx-4KS2/Stare/ and here: Index of /Firmware/Rejestratory/NVR/NVR4xxx-4KS2/

I updated sequentially, resetting back to factory after each one. It will take time and patience.
Thanks for the links.

Yes, I was very concerned about one hop updating from the rather old to current firmware. I'm more than happy to go through each update while I work on some other stuff... particularly if it is a way to avoid a bricky-brick.

Again, I appreciate your assistance.

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll get busy in my Asus router blocking those domains. Thanks.

Regarding APNs... I have dredged around very briefly and received the impression that on Android the equivalent is Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) . I have some reading to do... ;)

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same concerns as you Barboots since my DMSS app has just started to stop me using it unless I agree to their invasive terms. I refuse to do so. I use OpenVPN and like you thought that only I could access my NVR. I have discovered that even when not connected via OpenVPN I get the push notifications. I'm pissed about that and I now wonder what data from my NVR (or android phone) is being sent to the Chinese without my knowledge or approval.

Any suggestions for a DMSS replacement or other tips on how to ensure I'm the ONLY person who can access my NVR and cameras remotely?