Did Gmail stop working to send motion alerts via mms or sms?

Cropgun

n3wb
Reaction score
I've used a gmail account to relay motion snapshots for quite a while to my mobile and about a month ago they suddenly stopped working. I've tried sending sms and mms to my phone number from a few different gmail accounts and none of them work. Tonight I tired it from a protonmail account and it went through. Then I tried an old yahoo mail account I had. It works.

Curious whats up with gmail.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of threads about this.

It has been happening awhile with every mobile provider and there are many threads started with someone experiencing what you are.

You can confirm that BI and gmail sent them, so you know it is a mobile provider issue.

See this thread from a couple months ago. It appears Verizon in particular is rolling out blocking these types of messages on a permanent basis.

Using the test feature, their algorithm knows you pushed a button, but for the automated alerts, they know that was computer generated and are locking those up.

Best is to move to Pushover ($5) app as every mobile provider is tightening their spam algorithm. It may start working again for months, and then just stop. And then work again.

I used to use the SMS method as well, but the pushover app is way better and more immediate and consistent.

You could try another email provider or mobile provider, but it will happen with them as well. All you have done is kicked the can down the curb using a different email account.

Gmail disabled MMS to vzwpix.com
I have been having trouble lately getting alerts on my phone using GMAIL by sending it to my number@vzwpix.com. I just got off the phone and Verizon disabled the ability for that to happen to fight spam. Anyone have any other way to accomplish it?

Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks
I've figured out how to send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks from Blue Iris Actions without using external scripts. This approach uses curl and the Pushover API, and provides functionality similar to that recently described for Telegram . EDIT (5/16/2022) - For those who...