Dell 7040 Computer Keeps Crashing

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I took the plunge, I bought a Dell 7040 SFF with 16GB Ram, 250GB SSD and a 3TB WD Purple drive - installed Windows 10 Pro and got Blue Iris up and running but since actually having cameras hooked up to it, I am having problems.

I started by logging into this PC using Team Viewer, everything was working perfectly. Once I hooked up the cameras that is when the problems started - Blue Iris runs fine, it is recording when motion is being detected and the video streams are coming in, I can log in and out of the PC without issues; however, here is where it breaks. After the computer is running with the feed coming in 24/7 for 2 or so days, suddenly I can no longer connect to it - I can't connect via Team Viewer nor can I connect via Remote Desktop once I am VPN'd in. Team Viwer shows that its running and online but the connection never goes through. Remote Desktop starts connecting, asks for my credentials but then never connects.

If I reboot the PC using the button, then I can connect perfectly to it again but again only for about 2 days.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!

Reaction score
If I reboot the PC using the button, then I can connect perfectly to it again but again only for about 2 days.

Thanks!
Usually it's Windows itself, partially installing some update, and waiting for you to connect and reboot. Except you cannot connect. It's why many of us make certain the Blue Iris machine has Windows updates disabled.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I took the plunge, I bought a Dell 7040 SFF with 16GB Ram, 250GB SSD and a 3TB WD Purple drive - installed Windows 10 Pro and got Blue Iris up and running but since actually having cameras hooked up to it, I am having problems.

I started by logging into this PC using Team Viewer, everything was working perfectly. Once I hooked up the cameras that is when the problems started - Blue Iris runs fine, it is recording when motion is being detected and the video streams are coming in, I can log in and out of the PC without issues; however, here is where it breaks. After the computer is running with the feed coming in 24/7 for 2 or so days, suddenly I can no longer connect to it - I can't connect via Team Viewer nor can I connect via Remote Desktop once I am VPN'd in. Team Viwer shows that its running and online but the connection never goes through. Remote Desktop starts connecting, asks for my credentials but then never connects.

Thanks!
You need to connect a monitor to it so you can see what is going on. May be a memory leak. If you didnt install windows clean using MS media creation tool that is the first step.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s not going to sleep? For my desktop I’m sure I had to disable the options related to going to sleep.

FarmerDan

n3wb
Reaction score
When I encounter a Dell machine that is malfunctioning I like to make sure the BIOS and Dell drivers are up to date. Easiest way to do that is with a Dell utility called "Dell Command Update". You install it, run it, the program compares your computer to the latest released drivers on the Dell site, and will install the needed drivers for you. Usually requires one reboot. There is a chance a bad driver is causing your trouble and this is an easy thing to try. Command Update wants to run in the background to help you with driver updates in the future, which I haven't seen cause problems but if that is a concern you can uninstall it after your system is updated. download from here - Support for OptiPlex 7040 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

It does sound more like a memory leak or some program getting locked up. You can look at Task Manager | More Details in the Processes tab or the Performance tab to try and find an application or service that is using up all your processor or RAM. Good luck!

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It does sound more like a memory leak or some program getting locked up. You can look at Task Manager | More Details in the Processes tab or the Performance tab to try and find an application or service that is using up all your processor or RAM. Good luck!
So I had the machine rebooted it again about 10 hours ago, was able to get to it via TeamViewer no problems after the reboot. Actually set Blue Iris Motion detection to off to stop it recording in case that was the issue. Get up this morning, try to connect and no go - Online but cannot get to it. RDP error 0x108 and TeamViewer just says connecting and then never goes anywhere.

What makes this harder is this is at my Parents house in Australia, I am sitting in New York. They have no idea about technology so I have organized all the tech for the new house, so connecting the computer to a monitor is going to be hard. I am going to see if I can find anything in the logs after they reboot it again in 10 hours.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 09.09.41.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 09.10.00.png