Delayed Live Feed after Changing NVR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Lost an email account, so I am an old time user with a new account name. I have a 5+ year BI installation. I was previously running (2) Luma 16ch 510 NVRs with 28 cameras. Cameras were a mix of 2mp to 8mp.

My Daytime view on the Blue Iris screen is 12 cameras. For the last few years we have dealt with one particular camera that would have a delayed 'live view image' for sometimes up to a minute or 2 of being late.

Of the 28 cameras in Blue Iris - none of them record. Blue Iris is for custom group viewing screens and a daytime to night time shift. Half of the 28 cameras were fed directly to Blue Iris and half Blue Iris got the feed as a stream from the NVR(s).

A few weeks back the (2) Luma 510 NVR's were upgraded to a new Luma 820 32Ch NVR. The new NVR was not compatible with 5 of the old camera and those were upgraded to new Luma x20 12mp cameras. With the new NVR I can't find the correct code to stream from the NVR so we had to move all the Blue Iris Feeds to be direct camera to Blue Iris.

The Blue Iris Server has not had any changes to it. It's running at an average of 75% CPU usage, 1% GpU and RAM 12.5g (64gigs on system).

Now the majority of the cameras are streaming in Slo Motion and are up to 5 minutes delayed in the live view.

2 of the cameras are AXIS webcams, not connected to the LUMA System at all, and they are delayed and in slo mo.

We have not had any changes to the network infrastructure. All security cameras are, and have been, on their own VLAN.

I went so far as to Disable 20 of the cameras in Blue Iris, But the remaining 8 cameras (3 being the new 12mp) still couldn't maintain a current live feed.

Any ideas why changing the NVR on the network would upset Blue Iris so Much.

Any thoughts on how to possibly correct the situation and make Blue Iris Happier. We still have a bunch of cameras disabled, and the majority of the feeds are delayed.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.

Dave B

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you post pictures of your current settings for cams and while live viewing as well could help figure out what is wrong with yours. Try to turn down the resolution and fps first. I would look into if you are running on 100M or 1000M on your BI if turning down seems to help. I had mine plugged into 100M switch and I was lagging since I was over the 100M transfer. Also try factory resetting and upgrading the firmware on the cam that kept giving you lag problems.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If streaming was unsuccessful with new NVR's how did you connect the camera's to BI?
Maybe you used a POE switch?
Is it Gigabit?

Reaction score
In response to some of the questions -

1) For the cameras with issues I have lowered the frame rates to 6-10 FPS and lowered the resolutions down to 640x480.
2) Almost all the cameras run to 2 Ubiquiti 24 Port POE Switches. All the cameras are on their own VLAN. None of the computers plug directly into the NVR. The switches are all gigabit switches but the cameras are 100m. Between those two switches and the aggregration switch is Fiber - Not sure if the Fiber is 2.5g or 10g between the switches the and the switches to the main router (also Ubiquiti).
3) When I say streaming unsuccessful with the NVR's Previously I was able to pull the streams off the NVR's for the individual channels. With the new 32 Ch NVR I can't get a connection between BI and the NVR to connect and capture the stream. I can't find the right Protocol and Stream profile to work and I have tried numerous combinations.
4) Yes, POE Switches. The majority of the cameras are plugged into 2 Big switches. Some of the cameras on longer runs are plugged into local POE Switches that then connect back to the base rack switches. Everything is Gigabit

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What video compression are you using? 75% CPU usage , I would check the task manager to make sure you are not running 100% and is thermal throttling. I would say just start from scratch and treat the setup as brand new and work your way up and see if there is something that is conflicting. Check to see if your hdd is going bad as well. Turn off your recording and try watching the live view. Might as well crank up the fps and resolution to test with recordings turned off.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What computer are you using?

Have you done the optimizations in the wiki?

Wonder if you are not getting the substreams pulled in?

Are the cameras going thru the router or separated via VLAN or dual NIC?