Delay seeing anything on cameras

ITGuyMike

n3wb
Reaction score
The issue:

When watching the video streams on Blue Iris in the GUI or via the website on a remote machine if someone walks out in front of a camera there is a delay of about 3-5 minutes until they show up on the screen.

The system I am working with:

HP Proliant DL380p Gen8 server with 2 CPUs (Intel Xeon E5-2620 @ 2.10 GHz), 16 GB Ram, OS is installed on 2 1GB Seagate HDs in Raid 1 and Storage is 8 1GB Seagate HDs in Raid 5. Using Onboard video (Matrox G200) currently, waiting on a video card to test with that.

Network is a mix of single and multi mode fiber running between buildings with gigabit ethernet in the buildings. I am not sure of the internet speed but this issue happens even on the local network so i don't think that is an issue.

Cameras, 10 of them, are Speco Technology O3VLD1 cameras with the latest firmware, 2.520.
See attached pics for camera and BI settings.

BI-Speco2.JPG

BI-Speco1.JPG

Speco1.JPG

I have them writing direct to disk because we were having issues with 100% CPU usage.

If you need any more info or screenshots please let me know.

I am not a camera/security guy, just an IT guy that is trying to deal with equipment that someone else setup but is no longer around and cannot be contacted for any help. I do have full access to the cameras and server/BI though.

KerrSur

n3wb
Reaction score
Try removing video completely and viewing remotely - do you still have the same lag? You should be using this as a remote only server IMHO.

Also, I notice from your images that the frame rate is 30fps - drop that down to 8 and see if you notice any difference.

ITGuyMike

n3wb
Reaction score
Try removing video completely and viewing remotely - do you still have the same lag? You should be using this as a remote only server IMHO.

Also, I notice from your images that the frame rate is 30fps - drop that down to 8 and see if you notice any difference.

What do you mean about removing the video completely? We are viewing remotely already but that shows the same result as viewing in the GUI.

KerrSur

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought I read you were using a Matrox onboard video?

ITGuyMike

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought I read you were using a Matrox onboard video?

The Matrox is the integrated video on the motherboard yes. I cannot remove that. Currently I do not have a video card that I can put into the system. I have one ordered but it wont be here for over a week. The slot on the riser will only fit a single width video card so I am limited in what I can put in it.

ITGuyMike

n3wb
Reaction score
Not yet. I am working on this in between real work but I will try that next.
I disabled all but 3 cameras but left the frame rate alone and it was smooth and "live" again.
Then I dropped the frame rate on the cameras to 10 and in BI to 12.5 and added back in a 4th camera and I am waiting for someone on site to test it out and tell me if the video timing is "live" or not. This might not happen today though. Looks like I will have to find a sweet spot on frame rate for all the cameras being on.

One thing I see mentioned on here alot is I Frame rate. I do not see that as an option on these cameras. Is it there under some other name in the screenshot of the camera settings?

Also with the "Bitrate Mode Change" the options are CBR & VBR. It was on CBR and I changed it to VBR during testing. Which would be better? Under VBR I have Quality settings of 1 - 6 (Best). Under CBR the quality setting disappears.

Thanks for the help so far!

KerrSur

n3wb
Reaction score
Frame rate is typically set on the NVR, not the camera. In your Speco picture, it's the 4th setting down on each side.

CBR (Constant bitrate) gives you predictable data size (storage) because it will be using the same number of bits all of the time. If you don't have a lot of scenery change you might want this because you'll have a more level number of days of storage. Constant bitrate might seem like the best on the surface, but it might not be able to encode quickly enough to get a great view of an intense situation. If you do choose constant, try not to go too low.

VBR (Variable bitrate) will vary in size but attempts to maintain your quality. You might almost think the names "constant" and "variable" are backwards in this case because that's exactly what they are when it comes down to video quality. However, what's varying is the size of data (bits). So, a 6 (Best) setting will attempt to give you the very best quality video that your system is capable of.

Your question "which would be better?" is a tough one because I don't know your setting. The best bet is to play with it over the course of several months and try every option out that you can think of. YMMV

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a delay when viewing via the camera interface?