DeepStack stopped working with a recent update -- not analyzing any images?

rogersmj

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had the built-in DeepStack integration running fine for a couple months, but yesterday it quit and I am stuck trying to figure out why. Motion is being triggered -- I see the motion events in the log -- but no alert ever fires now. Nothing ever happens on the DeepStack status tab, and I'm not getting any Alert clips. (I believe that is since the alert isn't confirmed by DeepStack no alert clips are being saved. But I also don't see any info about it canceling the alerts.)

It started happening when I applied some Blue Iris updates yesterday. I don't remember what version I was on before when it was working -- something from early to mid June, I believe -- but now I'm on 5.4.9.11 x86 (7/20/2021).

No matter how much I dance in front of my cameras, no Alerts are generated, DeepStack status tab looks like this (took this screenshot shortly after clicking the "Reset" button to see if that helped...it didn't):

1626891707298.png

I see lots of posts on here about DeepStack canceling alerts, but it seems to me like DeepStack isn't even trying to analyze any alerts in the first place, but I'm not sure because I'm not very experienced at troubleshooting this.

Here's what I've done:
  • Restarted Blue Iris
  • Stopped/Started DeepStack from the BI options
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled DeepStack
  • Rebooted the server
  • Verified my storage volumes are ok and have plenty of space
Here's an example of how my cameras are configured:
1626891823423.png
1626891833375.png
1626895647027.png

On the "Record" tab, I've tried using both Continuous + Triggered and Continuous + Alert, but I don't get alert clips with either.

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in your alerts folder on the drive you store alerts on. You should see a bunch of .dat files. With the DS status window up, like in your first screen cap, drag one of those .dat files onto it and drop it there. You will then see the analysis information. Also, try lowering minimum confidence to 40%.

rogersmj

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks...my alerts folder has no new clips (mine are high res JPGs, no .dat) since yesterday around 4pm, which is when all of this stopped working. I'm unclear on the order of operations here...should I see an Alert image/clip no matter what Deepstack does, or should I only get one if Deepstack confirms the objects I have specified are present?

I've read the documentation but I can't figure out if the alert image file should be there all the time, or only when DeepStack validates the alert....but when I have the recording set to Continuous + Alerts, it sounds like it should only record to the Alerts folder if AI confirms the alert. Which is what I want.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you check "save Deespstack analysis details" and DS sees a clip it will save the .dat file. Have you confirmed DS is actually running? I just updated to 5.4.9.12 and it's running fine for me using the GPU version.

rogersmj

n3wb
Reaction score
If you check "save Deespstack analysis details" and DS sees a clip it will save the .dat file. Have you confirmed DS is actually running? I just updated to 5.4.9.12 and it's running fine for me using the GPU version.
I already have "Save Deepstack analysis details" selected for all my cameras. There are no .dat files anywhere. Yes, I've confirmed DS is running using the Test in Browser link in BI global settings. And I've uninstalled/reinstalled DeepStack. No change.

In summary, what's happening is:
  1. Cameras are continuously recording (low res sub stream)
  2. Blue Iris correctly detects motion on a camera (can see this in the log)
  3. Then nothing happens -- no file in Alerts, nothing in the log.
Prior to two days ago, when I did that series of BI updates, a high-res recording would be made after a motion trigger, and stored in Alerts folder as a motion JPG.

I have been through all my settings probably 10+ times and read the documentation, and I don't know what I'm missing.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You've got me stumped. Maybe uninstall DS and reinstall it again. Be aware that the uninstall isn't really very "clean" and leaves files behind.

rogersmj

n3wb
Reaction score
I uninstalled and reinstalled DeepStack, being sure to completely clear out any files. I have also updated BlueIris to the latest release (5.4.9.14), because all the little interim releases are saying the have AI and Alert fixes.

No change. I still get no Alerts, no DeepStack files. I have opened a support ticket.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I uninstalled and reinstalled DeepStack, being sure to completely clear out any files. I have also updated BlueIris to the latest release (5.4.9.14), because all the little interim releases are saying the have AI and Alert fixes.

No change. I still get no Alerts, no DeepStack files. I have opened a support ticket.
Show us your alerts tab.

rogersmj

n3wb
Reaction score
Show us your alerts tab.
OK...I'm not clear on why this is relevant though. I haven't changed these settings (or any others) from when it was working prior to 7/20.

1627413063195.png

Is the AI confirming a trigger, or confirming an alert? The language in the interface is confusing, because it's on the Trigger tab, but it talks about Alert images.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Pick one of the options in the "Fire when" menu and DS will probably work fine. You're not telling BI to record on any alerts. DS uses those triggers to start analysis.

rogersmj

n3wb
Reaction score
Pick one of the options in the "Fire when" menu and DS will probably work fine. You're not telling BI to record on any alerts. DS uses those triggers to start analysis.
Thanks...it does work now that I have Alerts set to fire when Triggered. I guess this was just a misunderstanding on my part of how Triggers, AI, and Alerts interact. Not sure how it was working before. Thanks for your help.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks...it does work now that I have Alerts set to fire when Triggered. I guess this was just a misunderstanding on my part of how Triggers, AI, and Alerts interact. Not sure how it was working before. Thanks for your help.
It was changed in an update, it caught me as well. Ken doesn't always do a good job of 'splanin.