Dedicated PC vs NVR Recorder

waketech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All,

I am tossing around the idea of purchasing a HIKVISION NVR when I get some more camera's for my system or using an older PC for this purpose. Just looking for Pro's and Con's fro both ideas please. Secondly I have been trying to get ivMS-4200 to work, just to play around with recording (although I cannot seem to get my camera added at the moment, it always says it is offline) is this the best software or is there others ?.

Thanks

waketech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok got camera working on this, is there any reason why I cannot locally record to my PC ?IVMS.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All,

I am tossing around the idea of purchasing a HIKVISION NVR when I get some more camera's for my system or using an older PC for this purpose. Just looking for Pro's and Con's fro both ideas please. Secondly I have been trying to get ivMS-4200 to work, just to play around with recording (although I cannot seem to get my camera added at the moment, it always says it is offline) is this the best software or is there others ?.

Thanks
NVR's are cheaper and consume less power and generally plug and play (if you match the cameras to the NVR)
PC vms, is WAY more flexible, with respect to supported cameras, scheduling, alerts etc..