Daisy-chain NVR with POE switch

techie007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

1) Does anyone know how to go about adding a 5th wireless camera to a 4-port HikVision DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR ? All my 4 POE ports are used up by my wired dome cameras.
2) If I wish to expand further by adding one more dome camera, can I daisy-chain the 4th POE port to another POE switch as shown in the attached Diagram B?

3) Will cascading this way fry the Ethernet port of the second POE switch?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have an NVR to speak from experience, but it does look like you might have a problem with that setup unless there is a way to turn off the power to the 4th port on the PoE NVR. You wouldn't want to feed the PoE switch with power from the NVR.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the firmware of a 4 ported NVR limited to just 4 cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have an NVR to speak from experience, but it does look like you might have a problem with that setup unless there is a way to turn off the power to the 4th port on the PoE NVR. You wouldn't want to feed the PoE switch with power from the NVR.
There is never a risk of this happening..for example you can plug any non poe device into the poe port of a poe switch and it wont cause any damage...sometimes when companies use a proroerty poe method which uses different pairs of wires, this can be an issue...
See this technical bulletin. http://oversea-download.hikvision.com/uploadfile/doc/20140512/PoE NVR Connecting External PoE.pdf

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the firmware of a 4 ported NVR limited to just 4 cams?
Hikvision and some others have 8 channel NVR's with only 4 port poe...they assume you will use a switch somewhere else on the network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

1) Does anyone know how to go about adding a 5th wireless camera to a 4-port HikVision DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR ? All my 4 POE ports are used up by my wired dome cameras.
2) If I wish to expand further by adding one more dome camera, can I daisy-chain the 4th POE port to another POE switch as shown in the attached Diagram B?

3) Will cascading this way fry the Ethernet port of the second POE switch?

Thanks in advance.
1) you can add the wireless cam manually...just input its ipaddress and credentials in the NVR...
2) Can do it this way, however, you will be losing one of your poe ports on the NVR...alternativly you can simply hook the poe switch up to any port on the same network the NVR is attached to - for example the router, or another switch in your network..the result will be the same without loosing your poe port on the NVR.
3)no

techie007

n3wb
Reaction score
1) you can add the wireless cam manually...just input its ipaddress and credentials in the NVR...
2) Can do it this way, however, you will be losing one of your poe ports on the NVR...alternativly you can simply hook the poe switch up to any port on the same network the NVR is attached to - for example the router, or another switch in your network..the result will be the same without loosing your poe port on the NVR.
3)no
Thanks to all for the prompt response.

Hi corkangel76,
According to the spec, my Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR is a 4-port but 8 channels NVR. Hence, it is supposedly able to support up to 8 cameras. Like what Fenderman said, they assume we will use a switch somewhere else on the network.

Hi Fenderman,
My wireless router is issuing the DHCP range 192.168.1.xxx. Therefore my wireless camera is also getting 192.168.1.xxx range. My NVR LAN port is also getting 192.168.1.xxx. However, the NVR itself is issuing the DHCP range of 192.168.254.xxx (by default) to the cameras connected to the 4 POE ports. This resulted in the wired and wireless cameras having different range. I'd tried manually adding the IP address of the wireless camera to the NVR as a 5th camera in the NVR setting but failed.

I even tried changing the DHCP issuing range of my NVR to be 192.168.1.xxx (was planning to assign static IP to some of my network devices to avoid conflict) but the NVR does not allow it's LAN port and POE ports to be the same range.

So far, only my NVR LAN port is 192.168.1.xxx which allows it to reach my internet gateway at 192.168.1.1. All my wired cameras are not able to reach my gateway and therefore time clock cannot be synced to external time servers, SMTP alerts cannot be sent out directly from the wired cameras and DDNS directly from the wired cameras will also fail.

In my previous diagram B , my daisy-chain connection was from the NVR's POE port to the LAN port of the POE switch. Can I re-wire it from NVR's POE port to one of the 8 POE ports of the POE switch? This should effectively increase my NVR's ports availability to 10 ports right (after minusing 2 for interconnection)? Will it fry the ports if both POE ports are carrying DC voltages?

Is there any 8-port POE switch known or proven to work well with Hikvision's NVR?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can certainly add a camera that is on your subnet of 192.168.1.xxx...I havent mess with a hikvision nvr in a while so i cant instruct you..double check your settings..hopefully someone else can...
You can hook the switch up any which way you choose it will not fry the ports...you may as well use the uplink port so you dont waste a poe slot...
If you want all your cams on the same subnet you can place them all on a switch that is on the network rather than attached to the NVR...
Any reliable 8 port switch will do the job...i prefer zyxel and tp link..

techie007

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman,

I've tried adding it manually but unsuccessful hence this posting. Anyway, will attempt again.

In that case, I'll buy a POE switch and try to daisy-chain using the uplink port.

It did cross my mind to connect all the cams on the same subnet as my WiFi router. However, some of my LAN points have no AC
power sockets beside it, hence I decided to use POE instead. And to make configuration and wirings simple, I bought the NVR
as well so that the recordings can be done within the self-contained unit but it turned out things were not so straight forward.

Worst of all, I keep seeing "No Link" message for some of my wired cameras on the console monitor which is directly connected to my NVR. When I check the web interface of the NVR, the affected camera was indicated as
"Offline (IP camera does not exist). "

When I check the web interface of the affected camera directly, the camera seems to be running fine. I have to factory-reset the affected cameras to get the image shown on the NVR console monitor again.

Another experiencing the same issue? All comments are welcome.

My config :
WiFi router DHCP range : 192.168.1.xxx
Wifi router subnet : 255.255.255.0

NVR POE DHCP range : 192.168.254.xxx (factory default)

NVR POE subnet : 255.255.255.0

Firmware version :

HikVision NVR DS-7608NI-SE/P : V3.0.10build 141125
HikVision Dome Camera DS-2CD2132-I : V5.2.5build 141201
HikVision WiFi Camera DS-2CD2432F-IW : V5.2.5build 141201