Dahua starlight cam with Laview NVR question

newseccam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 4 IP camera LaView NVR bundle (LV-KN988P84A4) and was looking to add some additional cameras to the system. The starlight Dahua cam (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS) sounds pretty good but I read on one of the threads that if the camera is not the same manufacturer as the NVR then the special triggers (motion detection in certain areas or line crossing alarms) will not work and the NVR will only do basic scheduled recordings over Onvif.

Will the Dahua cams work on the above LaView NVR and still allow the smart event recording features? Also, I am not in love with LaView NVR and didn't know if there would be one that would support:
1) Backing up to a local NAS
2) Changing the motion detection sensitivity based on time (ex: less sensitive at night)
3) Change the resolution of the pictures sent when an alarm is tripped

But if I switch to a different NVR will I then run into the same problem as above and loose the "smart event" features of my current LaView cams?

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 4 IP camera LaView NVR bundle (LV-KN988P84A4) and was looking to add some additional cameras to the system. The starlight Dahua cam (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS) sounds pretty good but I read on one of the threads that if the camera is not the same manufacturer as the NVR then the special triggers (motion detection in certain areas or line crossing alarms) will not work and the NVR will only do basic scheduled recordings over Onvif.

Will the Dahua cams work on the above LaView NVR and still allow the smart event recording features? Also, I am not in love with LaView NVR and didn't know if there would be one that would support:
1) Backing up to a local NAS
2) Changing the motion detection sensitivity based on time (ex: less sensitive at night)
3) Change the resolution of the pictures sent when an alarm is tripped

But if I switch to a different NVR will I then run into the same problem as above and loose the "smart event" features of my current LaView cams?

Thanks.
Welcome Newseccam,

The LaView system should be a Hikvision OEM product. The Dahua camera you mention is ONVIF spec - so you can get it to work to that standard with the LaView NVR. For better results a Hikvision OEM camera would be a better pairing with this NVR.

I see that you're fairly new to posting comments, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.