Dahua NVR / gDMSS app ?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all just a quick ?...I helped a buddy set up a dahua nvr system with multiple cams and everything is working great except for one thing...sound is not coming through via the gDMSS app.

The sound is working on the nvr because we have it hooked up to a tv display (via hdmi output on the back of the nvr) and you can hear people talking in the cams around the house.

Not sure if port forwarding has anything to do with this or not as we cannot get sound to work even if connected via local wifi. The only port I have forwarded is the default TCP port of 37777. Not sure if I would need to forward the HTTP port (80) or the RTSP port of 554 to get sound.....?

Thanks....

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you toggle the sound button within gDMSS? The sound is muted by default and you have to click it every time you open the app.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you toggle the sound button within gDMSS? The sound is muted by default and you have to click it every time you open the app.
Yes, I have toggled the sound button via the app...sorry I should have stated that in my opening post as well.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the nvr/camera config you can enable/disable sound per stream. So maybe you are watching the substream in gdmss, and didn't enable sound for that one.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the nvr/camera config you can enable/disable sound per stream. So maybe you are watching the substream in gdmss, and didn't enable sound for that one.
Thanks for your response....2 quick ?'s

1. I believe I know where to look within the camera itself to enable / disable sound per stream but did not see anything within the NVR itself? Any ideas where exactly that would be in the NVR?
2. How do you know if your pulling mainstream vs substream within gdmss app?

Thanks....

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1: I have a NVR5216-4ks2, If i open the main menu and then go to -> Camera -> Encode. I can change resolution, bitrate etc as well as Audio.
2: Open the device manager in gdmss, and then edit the settings of the NVR/Camera. You'll see "live preview:" if you have it on "Main" you're looking at the mainstream, "Extra" is the substream.

Found this screenshot online: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5nnYdCoCsyU/maxresdefault.jpg

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1: I have a NVR5216-4ks2, If i open the main menu and then go to -> Camera -> Encode. I can change resolution, bitrate etc as well as Audio.
2: Open the device manager in gdmss, and then edit the settings of the NVR/Camera. You'll see "live preview:" if you have it on "Main" you're looking at the mainstream, "Extra" is the substream.

Found this screenshot online: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5nnYdCoCsyU/maxresdefault.jpg
Bumping this thread once again due to me just getting a chance to go over to my buddy's house and attempt to further troubleshoot the no sound issue from the gdmss app. I went into the NVR and found the option for both main stream and substream and both options had audio selected. I figured they did because as I stated before you get audio coming from the NVR just not while connected to the app. Some addt'l steps I took that did not work:

-Opened HTTP port (TCP port already opened for connection to the NVR 37777)
-Opened RTSP port (554 default)

No go....audio still not coming from app. To me doesn't appear to be port or NVR or even camera related. Appears to be an issue with the app as far as I can tell. I wouldn't mind trying another app like TinyCam but I am not 100% on how to input the information to directly connect to the cams instead of to the NVR to get audio. I remember reading a thread from the app builder for TinyCam and they stated you connect directly to the cams for special features like audio output. I guess the thing that is confusing me is the NVR creates it's own subnet of 10.0.0.125 for example even though the LAN subnet is 192.168.1.1. Not sure how the app can connect to the cams directly on a different subnet?

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Audio problems are definitely not port related, if you have image then you should have audio as well. IF enabled in the nvr settings..! but I already told you that. As far as i know you can't connect directly to a camera if it's directly hooked up to the nvr..

I suggest you install SmartPSS on a pc or mac, it's dahua official. Open the stream from there and see what it does. If the Audio works you know the NVR/camera setup is good and it can only be the client. Right click on the stream and make sure you enable audio and test it with the main stream and the sub stream! See the screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/dABF9Wd.jpg

AdamCont

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue. If I record live or recorded video in the app so it saves a file on my phone then share the footage on, for example, Facebook Messenger, it has audio. Viewing in the app with the mute toggled on or off makes no difference no audio. Weird.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I've noticed audio works when you switch between HD & SD in app