Dahua NVR 5208-8P-4KS2E and 5842T-ZE-S2 Cams don't keep correct time sync - HELP

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Recently I've purchased and installed the hardware above in the title and have been having some nightmare with keep the camera time's in sync with the NVR. I will mention that I have tried numerous settings, such as "cam time sync", changing time servers, enabling/disabling NTP, manually using 10.x to manually update each & every cam's time as outlined in @bigredfish 's guide from 2020, with no luck. I've read on this forums and others that Dahua NVR's are notorious for having DST issues, which is understandable. But, after factory resets, defaulting every setting attempting to sync time with or without a time server, I can not seem to understand why this is occurring. I should also mention that I am experiencing this issue at the NVR with mouse connected, connected to an HDMI monitor. This way it rules out any mobile app/other interface.

I notice channels 1&2 generally keep the correct time in sync. They are almost always accurate with my NVR time sync. However, Channels 3,4,5, and 6 seem to stray off by 5-10 seconds. I also noticed when i double click on any of the 1-6 cams, the channels that are seconds off seem to auto update once clicking around in the NVR interface. I find this very strange, and I'm having a real hard time diagnosing and troubleshooting why these cameras won't keep the correct time no matter what i do or how i set the time settings. I will also mention that I recently updated the NVR to the latest firmware, V4.002.

I use my cameras to watch over my home and watch my dogs (one who's dog aggressive to the neighbors dogs, he's somewhat problematic), and it is the most annoying thing to watch the cameras and wonder, is that my dog in real time running around in the back yard, or is it delayed by 10-20 seconds... most often times it's delayed, rendering the camera system ineffective. I have read other forums online regarding this time issue, and have not had any luck trying other time zones settings, etc. Any assistance or guidance regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. TIA

Reaction score
I would like to add the cameras display the correct time and date when logged into using the 10.x method on IE and clicking the IE icon to access each individual camera. It's the NVR that doesn't seem to be keeping the time and date updated properly. Help.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Decoding issue? NVR is rated at 16-channel@1080P (30 fps).

But as you mentioned on chat, you are able to see accurate time logged into an individual camera. So recording is probably fine, just the NVR having trouble keeping up with live view decoding…? Just a guess

Reaction score
Decoding issue? NVR is rated at 16-channel@1080P (30 fps).

But as you mentioned on chat, you are able to see accurate time logged into an individual camera. So recording is probably fine, just the NVR having trouble keeping up with live view decoding…? Just a guess
YES. This is the issue. But, I'm only utilizing 6 out of the 8 available channels. It was wrong for me to assume it wouldn't keep up, however, I'm wondering if upgrading to say a 16-channel NVR would resolve the issue I'm experiencing while viewing mainstream, sitting at the physical NVR location w/ HDMI attached monitor, 4K 30 FPS.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using 12 or 24 hour clock settings?

There is a known issue with using 12 hour clock. Try setting your NVR time to a 24 hour clock

Reaction score
Are you using 12 or 24 hour clock settings?

There is a known issue with using 12 hour clock. Try setting your NVR time to a 24 hour clock
I'm using 12 hour settings. SO many have suggested doing weird stuff, turning DST off, changing clock settings, manually adjusting each camera, syncing times, etc.

Fact of the matter is, the NVR can not keep up with more than 2 main streams on 4K 30 FPS cams. It will display all as main stream but, some will be lagging quite severely. Coming from the "cheap, shitty Reolink Junk", I've never had this issue.

This is likely my first and last Dahua system. The IVS and Tripwires are badass, along with the face detection/recognition but, sitting at my desk all day and watching delayed cameras fking suck compared to the Reolink systems I have in other locations.

I don't see how changing time settings would make the decoding ability any better. If I double click on any of the frames that are running in main stream mode, they both update.

Only the sub streams seem to keep the proper date and time. Main stream is delayed.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Your original post was about keeping time. I gave you a possible solution for that. I have quite a few of these for 8 years with far more cameras and dont have that issue.
No changing from 12 hr to 24hr wont change the decoding capability. I didnt say it would.

Now you're talking about something different: live view, main stream, directly on the NVR not keeping up with decoding. The video likely lags and buffers. This has nothing to do with keeping time, this is the NVR not being able to keep up with the video streams you're trying to display simultaneously.
As you said, using substreams, which if preferred for live viewing multiple cameras for any system, it keeps time fine. Thats becasue the NVR IS keeping the accurate time.,

Live viewing capability is dependent on the number of cameras, bitrate as well as FPS and resolution. Yes you can get jerky video and lagging if you view enough cameras at high enough resolution. If you're telling me that Reolink makes and NVR that will stream more channels at the same resolution (at the same price point). FPS, and bitrate, I'd be interested in maybe buying one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your original post was about keeping time. I gave you a possible solution for that. I have quite a few of these for 8 years with far more cameras and dont have that issue.
No changing from 12 hr to 24hr wont change the decoding capability. I didnt say it would.

Now you're talking about something different: live view, main stream, directly on the NVR not keeping up with decoding. The video likely lags and buffers. This has nothing to do with keeping time, this is the NVR not being able to keep up with the video streams you're trying to display simultaneously.
As you said, using substreams, which if preferred for live viewing multiple cameras for any system, it keeps time fine. Thats becasue the NVR IS keeping the accurate time.,

Live viewing capability is dependent on the number of cameras, bitrate as well as FPS and resolution. Yes you can get jerky video and lagging if you view enough cameras at high enough resolution. If you're telling me that Reolink makes and NVR that will stream more channels at the same resolution (at the same price point). FPS, and bitrate, I'd be interested in maybe buying one.
Initially when I made this post I didn't realize it was a decoding issue. I was simply attempting to explain my issue by symptoms. So, I apologize for the lack of being unclear. Yes. What's the best way to check and see the max decoding ability for my Tech specs shows 320Mbps, but, I think each camera only uses like 4-8K KB/s? Surely I'm under the threshold?

I've previously tried to adjust bitrate, perhaps it will require me to lower my FPS from 30 to 25, I am using CBR, I don't like the idea of VBR, but maybe it would make things different. I'm using H.265 but I dont see how that would be affected switched from 264 or 265.

Any other final solutions? Perhaps I'll just have to keep FKIN with it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Incoming bandwidth (320 Mbps) isn’t what determines viewing. That’s the max the NVR can take in.

h.265 certainly could have part to do with it. Use h.264h. H.265 as implemented really doesn’t save much and definitely taxes the system.

CBR is fine.

After testing with h.264h, then try reducing FPS

Lowering bitrate will help, but do that last