Dahua naming convention

flyyboyy

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been reading and rereading forums/wiki/cliff notes, etc for a number of months, but guess I'm gonna have to ask for someone to point me in the right direction. It seems that this forum favors Dahua, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to make meaning of their many different models. In the Cliff Notes, I keep getting stuck at. . .
Dahua International Model Decoding Chart
Here is the Dahua International camera decoding information, which is different from Dahua U.S. models. . .

yet, I can't find anything about the US models. I've also searched the forums (and Googled the WWW) but find nothing that fully matches - and thus describes - most of the cameras discussed and recommended here.

So, what say you all?

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just like some vehicles sold in some countries have a different name plate/model here, same with cameras.

The US Dahua models are generally more expensive compared to the same international model and you generally have to purchase the US version through an installer, which is why the international models are so highly touted by many on this site as most of us here prefer to purchase and install our own stuff.

flyyboyy

n3wb
Reaction score
Just like some vehicles sold in some countries have a different name plate/model here, same with cameras.

The US Dahua models are generally more expensive compared to the same international model and you generally have to purchase the US version through an installer, which is why the international models are so highly touted by many on this site as most of us here prefer to purchase and install our own stuff.
Understood and agreed. However, it seems that each character (or character set) in the International Decoding Chart represents a particular characteristic of any given device. For example, is there only one "5442"? It seems not, in that the other characters in the names are not identical across all 5442 units. So what do I get if I order a 5442?