Dahua IP-Cams not reachable, SmartPSS, ConfigTool, DOA

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I postet this in the dahua-starlight-varifocal-turret-ipc-hdw5231r-z thread

I got my ipc-hdw5231rp-z cam today. I seem´s that it is a DOA. I put it on the network and tp a 12V PS. I cant reach it with the Config Tool. It does not make any noise. All my other cam´s operate the ir-filter if i apply power. On my router i can not see that something is connected to the port the cam is connected to. I opened the cam and i can see a tiny green LED is illuminated, so power seems to be ok.
Can anyone tell me if this cam should make some clickings if power is applied?

I start a new one here because i don´t want to destroy Nayr´s thread, but i think it might be helpfull to others.

It is very frustrating if you got a new device and you cant bring it to run.
Ok, i got it working, but it was a long way.
As nayr pointet out and so it´s written in the manual, the basic-ip of the Dahua-cam is 192.168.1.108!
My network is in a different segment, 192.168.178.xxx. So it was clear that i had to change the ip-adress of the cam. This should be done by the ConfigTool on the cd. I installed it and i had no success:

ConfigTool.jpg Angry.jpg SmartPSS 1.jpg

I also tried to reach the cam with a network scanner (second picture) and with SmartPSS V1.14.0
Everything failed, so i took one of my other cams and modified the adress to 192.168.1.109 to test out if it´s the cam or the tools.

Apps.jpg

The result was great, my old cam was also unreachable by the tools, but my config-tool for the old cam could see the old one. It was dark by then and i could see the IR-lights glimming on the Dahua, and pointing a flashligth to the sensor it was acting (IR-filter was working)
A bad thing is that the Dahua has no LED´s on it´s connector and my router has also no indicator.

So i had on my mind to change my network to 192.168.1 the next day to modify the IP of the Dahua.
As a last test i started SmartPSS 2.0 (i have both versions installed) and that resolved the problem:

SmartPSS 2.jpg

With SmartPSS 2.0 i was able to find the Dahua on the other subnet. I just clicked Search and Autosearch immediatly found the cam. I could change the network setting and it is working great!
Keep in mind that on the disk the PSS version is General_SmartPSS_International_IS_V1.13.1.R.20160504

The cam is worth every cent. I will get some more next week.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All my computers were at 192.168.0.xxx, so I changed my subnet to 255.255.254.0 so I could get to 192.168.1.xxx addresses. I don't need 512 ip addresses, but it just makes it easier when getting a new camera on the network.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I went through this same ordeal, except even Smartpss 2.0 wouldn't find my new cam either. I just installed a new cam at friend's office and same thing. Then as you know a lot of people can get it to work. I finally found that by using a VM of W7 and using the config tool in it it works fine.....still trying to figure that one out :) Glad you got it running !

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Today i found out the the Dahua cams are more sensitive to cable quality and length than others. I had a Sony Cam on a 20 meter cat 5e cable and i replaced the cam with a Starlight. It did not work at all. I used external powersupply, i tried PoE, no camera was found. I tried another Starlight, same result. I put an ENEO NXC-1602M PoE at the end, it worked well. Then i installed the Starlight right behind the PoE Injector and it worked. I took a second Starlight to the PoE Injector and a 20 Meter Ring of cat 6 cable in between, it worked also. I put a ring of 20 meter cat 5e in between the other Starlight and the injector, it worked, but not as well as with the cat 6 cable.
So be aware of wrong cable. My cat 5e cables have been very cheap. I replace all of them with cat 6, hope that most problems will go away.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Today i found out the the Dahua cams are more sensitive to cable quality and length than others. I had a Sony Cam on a 20 meter cat 5e cable and i replaced the cam with a Starlight. It did not work at all. I used external powersupply, i tried PoE, no camera was found. I tried another Starlight, same result. I put an ENEO NXC-1602M PoE at the end, it worked well. Then i installed the Starlight right behind the PoE Injector and it worked. I took a second Starlight to the PoE Injector and a 20 Meter Ring of cat 6 cable in between, it worked also. I put a ring of 20 meter cat 5e in between the other Starlight and the injector, it worked, but not as well as with the cat 6 cable.
So be aware of wrong cable. My cat 5e cables have been very cheap. I replace all of them with cat 6, hope that most problems will go away.
You never need cat 6. .. You were either using CCA cable or not terminating properly and to 568 spec...

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You never need cat 6. .. You were either using CCA cable or not terminating properly and to 568 spec...
Might be, these where really cheap cables. I took them out, i can´t see any defective areas. I replaced all cables now with cat 6 and all cam´s work as expected (i had problems with 2 cam´s on the 20 meter cables before).