Dahua HDW4431M replacement

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I have 7 dahua cameras hdw4431m, day vision is good but night vision really sucks, especially at medium distance (more than 8mt). I would like to replace 3 of them with dahua bullet cameras (no mini, no eyeball, no dome). I have been suggested to buy hfw5231e-ze which seems good but quite expensive (for example, i think i don't need motorized varifocal lens). Does somebody have any other suggestion for a starlight bullet?

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Try the HFW4231E-S. Fixed focus bullet, Starvis/Starlight, no audio though. In terms of usefulness, the HDW2231R-ZS is a better choice. The same Starvis/Starlight sensor, varifocal, not audio and it's a turret. Any bullet will have problems with bugs, spider webs, rain, snow, fog, etc, if you use the internal IR source.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks but I'm a bit confused now. I read that turret is the best solution for external use (especially for condensation problems) and you say it isn't...
Try the HFW4231E-S. Fixed focus bullet, Starvis/Starlight, no audio though. In terms of usefulness, the HDW2231R-ZS is a better choice. The same Starvis/Starlight sensor, varifocal, not audio and it's a turret. Any bullet will have problems with bugs, spider webs, rain, snow, fog, etc, if you use the internal IR source.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry...i wanted to write "bullet" (as best solution) not turret.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not understanding why you're saying "no mini". I'll second the recommendation for the HFW4231E-S (actually -ES is the current model). I happened to post a thread comparing it with the varifocal starlight, 4431M, and 4431R-Z. You're absolutely correct that the 4431M is good during the day and lacking at night. Even though you're insisting on the bullet form factor, at least consider the fixed-focus
HDW4231EM-ASE turret, which is the same camera as the HFW4231E-SE plus a built-in microphone. Besides the included microphone, I've found it to be easier to mount and adjust. In my location I haven't seen much spider difference between the bullet and turret design. I have spiders crawling on the lenses even when the camera IR is off (not nearly as many, however). In one of my locations where the sun shines on the lens, I found that the 4431 series had considerably less lens glare than the 4231 series starlight, and I ended up building a custom sunshade for the starlight where the 4431 didn't need it. If you want the best night vision and least spiders, use external IR. The comparison thread has some examples of that, too.
Comparison of mini bullet HFW-4231E-SE with 3 other cameras

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you probably have already noticed I'm not an expert at all. I started saying that i want a turret because i had some condensation problems few months ago and someone told me that is normal with eyeball cameras and the best solution for outside placement are turret cameras...
Ok i understand that isn't true.
So, since i don't need microphone but just a good night (and of course day) vision with varifocal, which model would you suggest?
I'm not understanding why you're saying "no mini". I'll second the recommendation for the HFW4231E-S (actually -ES is the current model). I happened to post a thread comparing it with the varifocal starlight, 4431M, and 4431R-Z. You're absolutely correct that the 4431M is good during the day and lacking at night. Even though you're insisting on the bullet form factor, at least consider the fixed-focus
HDW4231EM-ASE turret, which is the same camera as the HFW4231E-SE plus a built-in microphone. Besides the included microphone, I've found it to be easier to mount and adjust. In my location I haven't seen much spider difference between the bullet and turret design. I have spiders crawling on the lenses even when the camera IR is off (not nearly as many, however). In one of my locations where the sun shines on the lens, I found that the 4431 series had considerably less lens glare than the 4231 series starlight, and I ended up building a custom sunshade for the starlight where the 4431 didn't need it. If you want the best night vision and least spiders, use external IR. The comparison thread has some examples of that, too.
Comparison of mini bullet HFW-4231E-SE with 3 other cameras

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't confuse a turret with a dome. There is no plastic dome over the lens of a turret to collect condensation.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you...I've learnt something new. I thought they were similar.
Don't confuse a turret with a dome. There is no plastic dome over the lens of a turret to collect condensation.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Based on the discussion, I think there's only one answer, the camera mentioned in post #7 of the thread. It's a de-featured version of the 5231, losing audio capability and some IVS functions. It retains line crossing and tripwire, the most commonly used IVS features. There's no bullet equivalent I know of. I do not have one of these to report on, but I see no reason to question its review.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, can you tell me the difference between IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW5231R-ZE? Which one is better?