Dahua/Empiretech NVR with Older Swann/Hikvision Cameras

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have a Swann branded NRV/IP Cam setup that has worked great for many years however the notifications for IVMS app stopped worked recently due to their server shutdown/decommisioning. I have not been able to get the notifications working in hik-connect and have been now shopping to update my NVR.

my question is: would my older Swann/Hikvision cameras work with a newer Empire/Dahua NVR? I beleive they support ONVIF. would I get any motion/line crossing notifications using the NVR config?

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have a Swann branded NRV/IP Cam setup that has worked great for many years however the notifications for IVMS app stopped worked recently due to their server shutdown/decommisioning. I have not been able to get the notifications working in hik-connect and have been now shopping to update my NVR.

my question is: would my older Swann/Hikvision cameras work with a newer Empire/Dahua NVR? I beleive they support ONVIF. would I get any motion/line crossing notifications using the NVR config?

Thanks!
If those are ONVIF cameras, Consider using Blue Iris ..

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have looked into it however I would have to get a new Windows PC to run it, which might be quite costly comparing to replace the NVR. I'm open to your advice to get into BI though.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have looked into it however I would have to get a new Windows PC to run it, which might be quite costly comparing to replace the NVR. I'm open to your advice to get into BI though.
Look for a used PC i5/i7 6th gen or better ..

HP business class PCs are well liked ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People here are finding more than capable used computers cheaper than you will find an NVR for.

@Flintstone61 seems to find all the good deals LOL.

If you go the NVR route, it is best to match brand NVR and with cameras to ensure full functionality. Yeah there is ONVIF, but blah blah blah a lot of times the features don't work when mixing brands. You may get the video feed in and nothing else.

Reaction score
Thanks. Since BI allows me to re-use my current cameras, I will go this route. Can anyone advise if the BI app supports two way audio on an IP cam that has the featuresuch as the ones EmpireTech sells.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Since BI allows me to re-use my current cameras, I will go this route. Can anyone advise if the BI app supports two way audio on an IP cam that has the featuresuch as the ones EmpireTech sells.
Yes the BI app supports two way audio. I have five such cameras and they work fine in the BI app.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys!! Excited to get started with BI. Now have to have that talk with my wife after many great years with the current cameras even through very cold winters.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I started with a Swann system and after trialing BI, I doubt I will ever go back to an NVR and certainly not a box kit!

BI has a trial, simply download it on an existing Windows computer you have and give it a try. Recognize a laptop might not be the best experience, but you can at least try it out.

In all likelihood, you can pull the video feeds right from your NVR into it.

In BI, you select add camera and put the IP address of the NVR into the IP address location. Put in username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

Then about halfway down is a pull down for Camera number and pick camera 1 and then hit ok. The camera should show up. Then add camera and the select copy and copy this camera and then change the number 1 to a 2 and repeat for your cameras.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
When shopping for a used machine one of my requirements is to make sure it comes with an activated copy of windows, or a good COA. If you happen to get a machine that was purchased without windows included, you can add the cost of windows which could very well double the cost.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Following the advice here, I've installed a demo of BI on my laptop. i am trying to add these swann/hikvision cameras but no combination of URL/IP/Port is working.

The camera models are:
DS-2CD2532F-IS
&
SWNHD-820CAM

I figured adding a hikvision camera should be pretty simple.