Dahua Cameras in BI 5 only seen on LAN not WAN

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

39 Dahua camera on BI 5, all 3-8MP and divided between homes

The place I am at now will only show a camera on LAN not WAN

At a remote facility all cameras work except again for this bank of cams

Checked WAN address, it has not changed, port forwarding has been enabled for many months

Just all of as sudden these cameras won't show up on BI 5 just no signal error 8000274 or something to that effect

SSD, top of line CPU 1gb/ up and down fiber

Can't figure out why, Latest version BI 5 Gigabit netgear router

Rebooted network, checked all rj45s pulled out power supplies, everything

Any help appreciated

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the ports are still open

Thank you.

It doesn't show it open, I don't understand

Error: I could not see your service on xx xxx xx xxx on port (1104)
Reason: Connection timed out

EDIT..FIXED ports were blocked by Verizon, changed ports and all is good, thank you so much

Why were my 14 ports blocked?

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like a question for Verizon. I've not noticed that they block any particular ports with my FIOS service using my own router but I haven't tested all of them obviously. They did block some common ports (25, 80, 8080, etc.) from incoming connections at the router level in theirs.

In any case, really not a good idea to hang these cams naked off of a port forward these days.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am on AT&T FIXED wireless myself which operates on a private network and allows no port forwarding.
I am having great success by using Zerotier as a VPN.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like a question for Verizon. I've not noticed that they block any particular ports with my FIOS service using my own router but I haven't tested all of them obviously. They did block some common ports (25, 80, 8080, etc.) from incoming connections at the router level in theirs.

In any case, really not a good idea to hang these cams naked off of a port forward these days.

I do not have the skillset to do anything else but port forwarding using the Dahua camera in BI plugging in the WAN address.

If I plugged in the 192.168.1....... LAN I would not be available to see these cams remotely on a remote location with another BI setup only WAN seems to allow me to access them remotely or get into a cam's server interface remotely

Also I use MY OWN Netgear router not their Router/Gateway

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not have the skillset to do anything else but port forwarding using the Dahua camera in BI plugging in the WAN address.

If I plugged in the 192.168.1....... LAN I would not be available to see these cams remotely on a remote location with another BI setup only WAN seems to allow me to access them remotely or get into a cam's server interface remotely
Then your cameras are likely all hacked. Don't keep anything sensitive on any of the networks in this horrific mess.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score

Also I use MY OWN Netgear router not their Router/Gateway
Not sure how things are set up on the remote ends but you should spend some time trying to better secure them. They're just waiting to be searched out and found by bots that scan everything 24/7 and cams are prime targets. At least maybe look at limiting access by MAC or IP in the cam's web interface (need to be a little careful that you don't lock yourself out but cam can be reset to get back). That too likely can be bypassed with some good exploit but it's something at least.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure how things are set up on the remote ends but you should spend some time trying to better secure them. They're just waiting to be searched out and found by bots that scan everything 24/7 and cams are prime targets. At least maybe look at limiting access by MAC or IP in the cam's web interface (need to be a little careful that you don't lock yourself out but cam can be reset to get back). That too likely can be bypassed with some good exploit but it's something at least.
IP in camera's interface is LAN, port forwarding refers to internal IP though cameras accessed remotely by wan in remote BI interface

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
IP in camera's interface is LAN, port forwarding refers to internal IP though cameras accessed remotely by wan in remote BI interface
Ahhh... that's true. Was thinking within the same network which this likely isn't.