Dahua Auto-tracking - bouncing behavior

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps it's the tree, or perhaps it's that there are two white vehicles, but has anyone experienced the "bouncing" auto-tracking behavior observed in this video here? It seems to be trying to track the courier when this starts. It occurs in the 1-3 minute range.

To this post I have attached photos of the scene/preset-1 view, firmware versions, and the intrusion rule. No other presets are involved here; no other PTZ settings such a scanning, tours, etc - those are all disabled. In this spot I was previously using only a spotter cam and manual speed dome via BI triggering, but figured I'd try out the DH-SD5A425XA-HNR. I haven't found any other/newer firmware/PTZ version that can be applied to this EmpireTech sourced camera. PTZ update September 2021.

Blue Iris is setup to return back to preset-1 after 20 seconds of inactivity; when it finally did this is when the camera overlay displays "Road". The camera got out of its rut when BI commanded preset-1.

Attachments

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing I am seeing in your window is the mail truck has it's emergency flashers on. At first I thought maybe it was his head, as it is right outside the window when he is standing up. But when he got into his truck, the only thing that may resemble movement within the window was the emergency flashers.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS rule is set for both human and vehicle.... i think its confused.

Id chioose just human and go out and walk around and test it. Id also use both crosses and appears.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah it first spots the Mail truck appearing then gets confused between it and the pickup, both white and overlapping.

Then the bouncing is the ptz returning to home preset and immediately seeing a vehicle “appear” , rinse repeat.

Maybe just use crossing ….

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS rule is set for both human and vehicle.... i think its confused.

Id chioose just human and go out and walk around and test it. Id also use both crosses and appears.
I very rarely get motorized traffic back at my house in the woods. I do get a lot of wildlife roaming around 24/7. My PTZ's would probably catch on fire if it had to decide which to track: a car or a raccoon, red fox, coyote, bobcats, rabbits, turkeys, feral cats or a deer at the same time! All my PTZ's are tuned to track medium to large wildlife.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with Dahua ptz’s, and it may be the same with other brands, is that there’s no way to set a dwell time upon motion stop. It seems to be programmed at about 2-3 seconds.

Id like to be able to tell it to hold its last motion detect position for say 10-30 seconds and reacquire if movement in that time.

But then I suppose that could bring a whole new set of issues as it would have to remember the original object…

amdpowered

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with Dahua ptz’s, and it may be the same with other brands, is that there’s no way to set a dwell time upon motion stop. It seems to be programmed at about 2-3 seconds.

Id like to be able to tell it to hold its last motion detect position for say 10-30 seconds and reacquire if movement in that time.

But then I suppose that could bring a whole new set of issues as it would have to remember the original object…
Can anyone confirm or deny the same limitation exists with Hikvision?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the same limitation exists in Hikvision and there is a recent thread on this with theirs as well.

I do think they learn though as my Dahua PTZ seems to linger on for 10 seconds or so. Part of that can be by not having it zoom in so tight that you don't give it much to work with. Mine zooms in tight enough that I can see the whole body, so when they stop for their dog doing its business, there is usually a tapping foot or something that keeps it tracking.

With Autotrack PTZs once the motion stops, there is nothing for it to "track" and then it is sitting at a field of view with no Smart IVS rules telling it what to do, so it reverts back.

That is why a robust system is set up with spotter cams and multiple presets so that it can start to pick it up again.

Here is a great thread by @bigredfish that shows how spotter cams can be used to get the object, whether the camera lost track of them or they stopped and it lost track.