Dahua 4216 Stopped working

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can turn it off and on via the switch on the back panel. The blue ring lights up, but nothing else. No video output on HDMI, SmartPSS can't login, cell phone can't log in, and I can't get the web interface to come up when I type in the IP address. I did try my IP scanner and it shows it is connected to the network, but that's it. I tried power cycling it a couple of times and nothing. As I am watching my TV that's connected to the NVR via HDMI, it flickers every once in a while like it's in a constant reboot cycle.

Owners manual doesn't offer any help. I got the unit in Oct 2014, and It's connected to a back up battery/surge protector.

Ideas?

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
will it boot up properly with no hard drive? so I can get into the menus and such?

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That worked. I unplugged the HD and it works normally. it just says NO HDD in the corner. If I had two hard drives installed and one crapped out, would it do the same thing or just boot up normally using the one good hard drive?

It's a WD purple 4TB hard drive. Supposedly there is a 3 year warranty.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That worked. I unplugged the HD and it works normally. it just says NO HDD in the corner. If I had two hard drives installed and one crapped out, would it do the same thing or just boot up normally using the one good hard drive?

It's a WD purple 4TB hard drive. Supposedly there is a 3 year warranty.
Great..send it back..they have a decent warranty support...you can do it all online..hard drives cause all sorts of unexplained issues in NVR's so that's why I recommended that first...if you have sensitive video on it, you can try mounting in an external enclosure and using something like "eraser" to wipe the disk..

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I had two hard drives installed and one of them broke, would it continue to work on just the one hard drive? I don't really need two, but if it will continue working if one breaks, I'll go ahead and get two.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I had two hard drives installed and one of them broke, would it continue to work on just the one hard drive? I don't really need two, but if it will continue working if one breaks, I'll go ahead and get two.
No idea...Technically it should...but who knows...

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The bad hard drive is shorting out the NVR. I have had it happen numorous times. It's actually a nice feature to let you know that there is a problem if you do not have emails set up or what not. Fenderman hit the nail right on the head with this one. Good job.

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
got the replacement hard drive and went ahead and ordered another one from amazon. When I set it up on the NVR, do I select "redundant" for the second one? Will that basically record to both hard drives at the same time?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a second drive would not have prevented this issue, the redundancy option is only needed if you need your video back after a drive failure.. you will loose half the storage capacity as it will write the data to both drives.

for residential use I dont think redundant storage is needed, as the recorded footage has little to no value.. If you have an event you wish to retain/archive the footage you typically download it and put it on another storage device.

ps: consider setting up a remote monitoring service to watch your NVR and alert you if it is unavailable..

Last edited by a moderator:

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I think it happened again. Bad part is, I'm on the other side of planet earth. I keep getting log in time out on my phone. Wife at home says it's making a clicking noise and smart PSS says offline. Grrr. are the other brand NVRs burning up hard drives like this too? How long should one last?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I think it happened again. Bad part is, I'm on the other side of planet earth. I keep getting log in time out on my phone. Wife at home says it's making a clicking noise and smart PSS says offline. Grrr. are the other brand NVRs burning up hard drives like this too? How long should one last?
Are you keeping the NVR is a hot enclosed area? is the fan working?

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's in a big closet in the bottom of a rack cabinet. The fan works and it's always cool in there.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could it be one of the cpu, power supply or case fans not working properly (clicking noise....) causing the board to not work right...?
Turn it off for about 30 minutes and see if it starts working normally for awhile...