Currently using OpenAPLR, is this normal?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Why is the video washed out in Rekor Scout even though License Plates are being read accurately?

1629989343314.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is more than likely a power issue with the camera and/or CPU maxing out.

I was getting that after running it for awhile and noticed from this view that my FPS were bouncing all over the place, and even though BI was showing a consistent FPS, OpenALPR wasn't.

I switched the power supply to the camera and then FPS held constant and haven't had the problem since.

I think it also makes sense to follow the best practices of BI optimization for this camera - FPS and iframes match and since this can be CPU intensive, run the FPS as low as you can before it starts missing. I am running 8 FPS and catch everything. 15FPS would hit the CPU too hard.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you @wittaj

I started with 15fps when initially setting up this camera, but was reading a post by @bigredfish , he suggested maxing out the frame rate as well as bit rate especially when vehicles are passing by at 25-30mph. The FPS does match with the i-frames. The CPU in my setup is a 11th gen 11700K CPU. I will try to reduce the frame rate again and report back :)

1629992245912.png

That is more than likely a power issue with the camera and/or CPU maxing out.

I was getting that after running it for awhile and noticed from this view that my FPS were bouncing all over the place, and even though BI was showing a consistent FPS, OpenALPR wasn't.

I switched the power supply to the camera and then FPS held constant and haven't had the problem since.

I think it also makes sense to follow the best practices of BI optimization for this camera - FPS and iframes match and since this can be CPU intensive, run the FPS as low as you can before it starts missing. I am running 8 FPS and catch everything. 15FPS would hit the CPU too hard.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you think I should disable the substream?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are not using the substream for an NVR or BI, then yea turn off everything that the camera doesn't need to be using CPU for.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try encoding just H264, OpenALPR may be struggling with H264H