cpu?

nebbiadigiorno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, i have a greta question to ask.
I am stuck with an fx6300 that can't run 6 ip cam (foscam 2 megapixel).
What cpu is best for my use? an i5-4590?
Thanks fot the replay.
Cheers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, i have a greta question to ask.
I am stuck with an fx6300 that can't run 6 ip cam (foscam 2 megapixel).
What cpu is best for my use? an i5-4590?
Thanks fot the replay.
Cheers.
The i5-4590 can certainly run it..you can get a system for 300 dollars...
That said, the fx6300 can also easily run your setup..you need to make sure direct to disk is enabled for each camera and that you are running the full version not demo. The amd will use more power so you should test the system, buying intel may pay for itself.

nebbiadigiorno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you made my day with the "you need to make sure direct to disk is enabled for each camere" thanks a lot! i'm not running the demo version but the purchased version. Where can i found a i5 system for 300 dollars? it's a good price for that cpu.
You say "buy inel may pay for itself" is for the less power cosumption?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you made my day with the "you need to make sure direct to disk is enabled for each camere" thanks a lot! i'm not running the demo version but the purchased version. Where can i found a i5 system for 300 dollars? it's a good price for that cpu.
You say "buy inel may pay for itself" is for the less power cosumption?
yes power consumption...search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex

nebbiadigiorno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I set the "direct to disk" in every camera and if i set the camera to 720 resolution i have a 35% of cpu usage, but if i set all the cameras at the 1080 resolution i have a 90-100 cpu usage.

nebbiadigiorno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes i lower it to 20 fps per camera. now the situation is fine. 50 % cpu usage. thanx for the support.

Pnuts

n3wb
Reaction score
Man, I wish I would have found this forum sooner. I was trying out Blue Iris demo with 3 cameras on a AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 8 Core CPU. The cameras were all set to 1080p and 30fps. It was using ~60% cpu and if something was triggering on all 3 cameras it pegged it at 100%...

I'll have to give it a go again tomorrow with the fps turned down to 20 and the direct to disk thing checked to see if there is a major difference in usage. I ended up ordering HIKVISION DS-7608NI-E2/8P to use instead, but it would be nice to use Blue Iris and simply return the NVR as the cost is significantly less.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, I wish I would have found this forum sooner. I was trying out Blue Iris demo with 3 cameras on a AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 8 Core CPU. The cameras were all set to 1080p and 30fps. It was using ~60% cpu and if something was triggering on all 3 cameras it pegged it at 100%...

I'll have to give it a go again tomorrow with the fps turned down to 20 and the direct to disk thing checked to see if there is a major difference in usage. I ended up ordering HIKVISION DS-7608NI-E2/8P to use instead, but it would be nice to use Blue Iris and simply return the NVR as the cost is significantly less.
Direct to disk will not work properly in demo mode...you can buy an i5-4590 system for 300...search optiplex or elitedesk on this forum.

nebbiadigiorno

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only problem is that with the direct to disk enable, you lost all the overlay things.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only problem is that with the direct to disk enable, you lost all the overlay things.
Its not a problem..just use the cameras time and date stamp..that is how every NVR works...You can also readd the time overlay when you export if you record to bvr format.

Pnuts

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a significant change in the CPU usage with direct to disk?

My original plan was to put Blue Iris in a VM on my existing server with the FX-8370. The server runs a few things including plex. I was trying to keep costs down, but after i had the 3 cameras going in demo mode, even i I maxed out resources to the VM, it still pegged the CPU. This led me to scrap that idea and buy a DS-7608NI-E2 (also because it would use less power then the existing server).

You guys are giving me second thoughts on the NVR though and maybe I should return it and get a dedicate pc for Blue Iris...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a significant change in the CPU usage with direct to disk?

My original plan was to put Blue Iris in a VM on my existing server with the FX-8370. The server runs a few things including plex. I was trying to keep costs down, but after i had the 3 cameras going in demo mode, even i I maxed out resources to the VM, it still pegged the CPU. This led me to scrap that idea and buy a DS-7608NI-E2 (also because it would use less power then the existing server).

You guys are giving me second thoughts on the NVR though and maybe I should return it and get a dedicate pc for Blue Iris...
The difference is dramatic...it would be even lower if you had a modern intel processor with intel HD quicksync...amd processors are a poor choice for a 24/7 vms as they are power hogs.

Pnuts

n3wb
Reaction score
The difference is dramatic...it would be even lower if you had a modern intel processor with intel HD quicksync...amd processors are a poor choice for a 24/7 vms as they are power hogs.
Ok, so next question then. Say I returned the NVR and grabbed an i5 box to use with Blue Iris. How do you think power usage would compare, similar to a dedicated NVR or significantly more? Also, is Blue Iris that much better then the software on an NVR? Like is it truly worth it that you would want to always go with Blue Iris vs the NVR device?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so next question then. Say I returned the NVR and grabbed an i5 box to use with Blue Iris. How do you think power usage would compare, similar to a dedicated NVR or significantly more? Also, is Blue Iris that much better then the software on an NVR? Like is it truly worth it that you would want to always go with Blue Iris vs the NVR device?
If you buy an efficient i5-4590 system the difference would be 25-40w depending on load....for me the options blue iris provides are worth every penny of the energy cost and then some...

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't forget about used boxes either. I got my i7 3770 system for $160 used. Idles at 14.5W. If I take out the excess RAM (16GB) and run only 4GB, it idles at under 14W.

With five 3MP/20fps cameras, hardware acceleration disabled (Windows 7 run-as-service HA issue), and full screen motion detection on all five, it consumes about 28% CPU average and runs at 56W average. Direct to disk allows the CPU to stay around the same when recording.

An i7 2600 is also available for cheap, but the 3000 series and up had some good GPU, clock speed, and power consumption improvements. I had an i7 2600 system that was $120 from a local place that had hundreds of them. Idled at 26W. CPU usage was low 30's with the i7 2600 and no HA.

Many of these i7s are coming off lease. Some may have cosmetic scratches on the case, but they're a great value. They have four SATA ports in most SFF systems.

markcohn28

n3wb
Reaction score
What about an Optiplex with an i5 2400, 8 GB ram, and a 480 SSD? I'm having problems running 7 IP Camera Reolink 4MP 1440P POE. I have direct to disk, and lowered the fps to 10. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.