CPU is maxed out

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my CPU being maxed out. I am running 22 Cameras. Have a dedicated server Hardware specs as followed.
AMD 8 core FX 8350 running at 4.3ghz
16 megs of Ram

Nothing else is running on this computer. Yet i am still Maxed out on my CPU.. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are several things which can be done. What frame rate are you running on each camera? Are you monitoring the server with remote access software? If yes, what remote access application are you utilizing? How many cameras are recording at any given time? Are all of your cameras configured to record using "direct-to-disk?"

I run 22 (2MP, 3MP and 4MP) cameras on an i7-3370. The AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core benchmarks at 8,974 whereas the Intel Core i7-3770 @ 8,917. Yet my CPU runs at approximately 40% (when there's not a lot of recording happening) and yours at 100%.

Let us know the answers to these questions and we may be able to offer you strategies which may help you reduce your CPU usage.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Q2, Thanks for the reply.

23 2-4MP Cameras at any given time 6 are recording The Frame rates are 15-20fps depending on camera and location of placement in this facility. I do not use remote viewing if I do log in its via RDC and that is on the internal LAN. I am not sure if I have the cameras set up to Direct to Disk. All the video is being recorded to internal 10TB Raid 5 array (hardware based not software) built into the server.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually if it is easer, I am the network admin, I can port you in using "showmyPC" Happy to pay you with amazon Gift card, $100 to configure proper settings to BI.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you really need 15 to 20fps? I run most of my cameras at 4fps and frankly, that is a sufficient frame rate for my requirements; dropping your frame rate will lower your CPU usage significantly. There certainly are some folks who need a high frame rate, but IMO most folks don't. Letting go of the desire to run a high frame rate is the hard part...at least it was for me.

Direct-to-disk will also help: Camera Properties > Record > Video Format & Compression > Encode (Compression) > Direct-To-Disk

I've found that Remote Desktop Protocol used a lot of CPU overhead on my setup, so now I remote access my BI server using Dameware MRC...and if I (or any other authorized individuals at our business) need to remote view cameras, clips or alerts we use BP2008's genius "I Made A Better Remote Live View Page" work of art (use "ui2.htm" and make sure you read the configuration instructions)...

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?93-I-made-a-better-remote-live-view-page

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am actually a Gamming facility, Bingo, so the gambling floor requires the frame rate. (not for reasons that you would think actually) it for Fake slips and falls, have fended off more then 15 claims with this software in the past 2 years. so on the gambling floor I think I need that frame rate. but other places probably not. CPU overheating is not a problem I am lucky to have a budget to allow for Liquid cooling with a water to water heat exchanger. I the way of remote viewing I really don't need it. we have 21 days of clip storage. so I just wait until operations are down and I view the files and transfer them to CD for the incident report.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Um that direct to disk dropped it to 38% of CPU usage. Dude you just earned a gift card right there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Um that direct to disk dropped it to 38% of CPU usage.
When using direct to disc, ensure that you set pretrigger frames to at least 2 times your frame rate as blue iris only records at the beginning of a new frame. Also set your iframe interval in your camera to match the frame rate.
Note the with direct to disk, the time stamp overlay is not recorded..you can add it back when you export export if you record to BVR format or simply use your cameras own built in time stamp.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, Admin, with this I think I am just going to go config all the cameras with display time and date stamp at the camera. I have all cameras recording with a CPU usage of 60%. Will Blue iris still delete old files after 21 days in this setting?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, Admin, with this I think I am just going to go config all the cameras with display time and date stamp at the camera. I have all cameras recording with a CPU usage of 60%. Will Blue iris still delete old files after 21 days in this setting?
Direct to disk does not affect your clips and archiving settings...

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Admin, I could kiss you both. any way I can thank you both with amazon? you should have my email in the records. Bounce me a email so I can thank you properly. You just save the IT budget 5k

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Admin, I could kiss you both. any way I can thank you both with amazon? you should have my email in the records. Bounce me a email so I can thank you properly. You just save the IT budget 5k
Thanks but no need. This forum is about sharing info.:)
Note if you are recording 24/7 and not motion based, the pretrigger frames dont matter...