Coyotes

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't know . . . maybe check the nearest cemetery and be sure there isn't something else going on. Take a mirror, cross, garlic, some silver bullets, and a wooden stake or two just in case.

Haha, see the street at the end of the driveway? The cemetery is on the other side of that street. Couldnt ask for quieter neighbors! ;)

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have quite a few coyotes in the area as well. When you're outside by yourself and you hear a pack of them barking and howling, one gets a little wary.
A neighbor down the street had their cat attacked/killed... and several other stories.

The one that gets me, is a neighbor had their little dog outside (one of those little 2 lb dogs, 5lbs whatever), a eagle came down and picked the poor dog up. Eagle dropped it about 20 feet later, on purpose or lost the grip I have no idea.
That poor dog was traumatized for the rest of it's life. Wouldn't go outside unless a human was right on top of it, etc...

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
We've been out here for 25+ years now. A few years back (time flies, so that's as close as I can remember :p ), the neighbor 2 doors down lost their cat to that pack (it was pretty obvious by what was left of the poor thing). Hearing what we hear nightly, I'll NEVER understand how you can leave a small pet like that out alone at night. The woman said the cat was a "hunter", so... (like that made everything ok...)...

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So a low wolf density area? Coyotes thrive in those regions, whereas foxes do fine with wolves, which is likely why I never hear coyotes out my way.

Love the audio, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We live in a rural area and at night we will hear the coyotes off in the distance. Then, when they are done, another group will start in another direction. A few minutes later the group that hangs around our property will start. They sound like they are just outside the window. This must be their way of establishing their territory and communicating.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds eerily familiar to the 13th hole at Santa Luz Golf Club in San Diego at Night.
Visiting my brothers house back in 2010 -2011.
Kinda out in the Rancho Santa Fe area by Hwy 56( Ted Williams Fwy)

Meanwhile back in Minnesota, New captures... I found a Pair of Coyotes cruising though my Condo's parking last fri or sat nite during a freezing rain event. Seen the bigger one 4-5 times now. Maybe they'll have pups and I enjoy the howling as well :)
Got em on "tape". will post tomorrow. nothing exciting. Just very unusual for this Quasi-urban area.

aCTION2.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an expert identifier, but one of the 2 seen here are fairly good sized.
I'm thinking maybe 40-45lbs. 60lbs would be a stretch maybe.... After seeing it about 5 times now.
It's legs seem so stocky compared to other coyote pictures i've looked at.
Maybe they vary based on how much nutrition is available?
Or is it a regionally thick coat?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting this thread goes active now, a few days after a coyote killed our cat. It was a wrong-place-at-the-wrong time happening, with both the coyote and cat walking toward the same corner of the house, along different sides. The cat almost walked into the coyote before seeing it and short chase started. When they went out of the camera view the cat was 1.1 seconds ahead of the coyote. I was going to post a picture or two, but it was in early morning low light, and the two animals are only a blurred blotch on the video. The cat's body was about 30 feet past the edge of camera's view. The coyote looked well fed