Could deepstack be crashing my system?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Occassionally my BI PC would hang up with no log of any failure in the event viewer. I've gone through all the troubleshooting process and could not isolate the issue.

today things has been going fine but we have some contractors here so there are more motion activities than usual. My system had hung or BSOD more than 8 times in the 45 minutes exactly about the amount of time the contractors has been here.

Any way to track this down?

FWIW I stopped deepstack from BI to see if it continues to crash

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on your system, number of cameras using DS, etc., it is very possible that your CPU is maxing out and crashing.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 14 cameras mixed of 1080p and 4k, I average about 30% usage but when there isn't movement I think I'm down to 15-20

Since stopping DS I have not had a hiccup.

the BI PCis an i7 6700 and 32 Gb of ram.

I have serveral options not sure which would be best. I run homeseer on an older laptop I5 M560 cpu which is probably going to kill it.

Have an Xpenology NAS that's on a Xenon x3480 and 16gb of ram which is equally old.

run DS in Docker on the NAS or the laptop. :(

I'm open to upgrading the BI PC, I see guys buying GPU and install the GPU version. Most of the recommended GPU I see are 300-400, maybe better off upgrading the a Gen 11 i7 and build a new system without the GPU?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I would opt for a decent graphics card over the CPU upgrade. Even a gen 12, which I'm running, struggles once you go past about six cameras on DeepStack. GPU can struggle, too, but it doesn't crash the system. Look for a Quadro 600 or better or even a used 1030, 1060.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Quadro series since I have a 970, but if a 970 handles a dozen cameras reasonably well I'd expect the P600 will handle 9 OK, but that's a guess. A 1030 or 1060 definitely would.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a quick update, I moved deepstack into a docker container on the NAS and has yet to crash in the past 24 hours. DS isn't using that much resources of the NAS either which was a huge surprise for me. response time increase like crazy so it's probably not optimum at least it bought me some time while I figure out what to do.