Costco Lorex System Adding Non Lorex Cameras?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I finally got in, dot is red. Try to reconnect IPac and it’s asking for camer password. How am I suppose to know this password for a new camera?
You have to login to the camera's webpage to setup the login username and password. Then enter that when the NVR asks for the login credentials.

pred43

n3wb
Reaction score
You have to login to the camera's webpage to setup the login username and password. Then enter that when the NVR asks for the login credentials.
Yeah this camera from EmpireTech has been a nightmare. Love the camera, but the installation is idiotic. It seems like they aren’t aware of Apple Computers, and I cannot do anything on a Mac with it. NVR recognizes it but the dot is red. I can register, but need the camera password. The instructions to find this password are non existent except it seems I need a PC to run a config tool. So I have no idea what to do as this “Andy” guy has no customer support

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah this camera from EmpireTech has been a nightmare. Love the camera, but the installation is idiotic. It seems like they aren’t aware of Apple Computers, and I cannot do anything on a Mac with it. NVR recognizes it but the dot is red. I can register, but need the camera password. The instructions to find this password are non existent except it seems I need a PC to run a config tool. So I have no idea what to do as this “Andy” guy has no customer support
Check the camera housing to see if it has a label on it that contains the default IP address and username/password. Username is typically "admin" with a password of 1234 or similar. That's just to allow you to gain access to the cameras onboard configuration webpage through a web browser. I don't use Apple / MAC so I can't help you there, but it shouldn't be much different than Windows as far as running the Chrome web browser.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy has plenty of customer support.
The world revolves around Windows machines, not apple juice powered equipment.
But with the proper browser on mac you can log in to the camera just fine.
Unfortunately you seem to not understand the workings of a network camera.
Your post's aren't always clear, so you mention Andy, what exact camera are you trying to add.

For any Dahua camera, the best way to set it up is to simply open a browser, type in the camera's default IP address of 192.168.1.108.
This will open a page that initializes the camera.
Setup a user name and password for the camera when asked, Write this info down.
Set a static IP address in the camera, something besides' 192.168.1.108 that complies with your network or NVR Ip scheme. Write IP down that you just assigned.
Back at the NVR, go to add cameras and use the IP address and the user/password that you set.

FYI: Dahua has not used a default Username or password for a couple of years now.

pred43

n3wb
Reaction score
Check the camera housing to see if it has a label on it that contains the default IP address and username/password. Username is typically "admin" with a password of 1234 or similar. That's just to allow you to gain access to the cameras onboard configuration webpage through a web browser. I don't use Apple / MAC so I can't help you there, but it shouldn't be much different than Windows as far as running the Chrome web browser.
Yeah I have the default IP and it tells me to connect my computer to NVR and then place up in web browser and open. It just doesn’t work with mac/chrome safari. So I dunno I’ll keep trying to figure it out
Andy has plenty of customer support.
The world revolves around Windows machines, not apple juice powered equipment.
But with the proper browser on mac you can log in to the camera just fine.
Unfortunately you seem to not understand the workings of a network camera.
Your post's aren't always clear, so you mention Andy, what exact camera are you trying to add.

For any Dahua camera, the best way to set it up is to simply open a browser, type in the camera's default IP address of 192.168.1.108.
This will open a page that initializes the camera.
Setup a user name and password for the camera when asked, Write this info down.
Set a static IP address in the camera, something besides' 192.168.1.108 that complies with your network or NVR Ip scheme. Write IP down that you just assigned.
Back at the NVR, go to add cameras and use the IP address and the user/password that you set.

FYI: Dahua has not used a default Username or password for a couple of years now.
If he has customer support I can’t find it.
You are correct, my knowledge of network cameras is not high. However, the crappy Lorex cameras were simple to set up. I’m not sure why this camera is not, which was the point of this entire thread.
The camera is the t-180

your post is very helpful, I will attempt to do as you have said. However, I have tried this before except the IP typed into safari or chrome has done nothing. The config program will not work on Mac, but I did as was instructed. Connected my Mac to the NVR and typed in that IP into the browser and it just loaded but nothing appeared. perhaps I am missing a step? All I need is the camera password, seems like this should be easy but it isn’t.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK - so if you call Lorex 1-800 number and tell them you are trying to hook up a camera that is not a Lorex, they will tell you they cannot provide any customer service for that. So why would Andy provide customer service for hooking into an NVR that isn't his? That is not the way it works in this industry and nobody will provide customer service for mix/match.

It is one of the reasons why everyone says it is best to match NVR and camera brand.

That camera does not come with a default password.

Most of us here do not use the config tool....

You set your computer to 192.168.1.xxx subnet and then log in to the camera via a browser.

But several of my neighbors have Lorex NVRs and replaced cams with one from Andy and in every single instance, simply plugging the camera in to the POE port of the NVR resulted in the NVR finding it.

So you are doing something wrong or you have one of the one off NVRs from Lorex that is more "proprietary" than a Dahua OEM...

Here is my standard post - but you should only need to do this IF you are not hooking the camera directly to the NVR POE port. OR it could be this NVR cannot handle the new GUI.

For this camera you will need to use Internet Explorer - not Edge or Chrome with IE tab, but plain ole Explorer. If you use another browser some of the settings won't hold, like tracking time.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1672063957334.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.

pred43

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - so if you call Lorex 1-800 number and tell them you are trying to hook up a camera that is not a Lorex, they will tell you they cannot provide any customer service for that. So why would Andy provide customer service for hooking into an NVR that isn't his? That is not the way it works in this industry and nobody will provide customer service for mix/match.

It is one of the reasons why everyone says it is best to match NVR and camera brand.

You set your computer to 192.168.1.xxx subnet and then log in to the camera via a browser.

But several of my neighbors have Lorex NVRs and replaced cams with one from Andy and in every single instance, simply plugging the camera in to the POE port of the NVR resulted in the NVR finding it.

So you are doing something wrong or you have one of the one off NVRs from Lorex that is more "proprietary" than a Dahua OEM...

Here is my standard post - but you should only need to do this IF you are not hooking the camera directly to the NVR POE port. OR it could be this NVR cannot handle the new GUI.

For this camera you will need to use Internet Explorer - not Edge or Chrome with IE tab, but plain ole Explorer. If you use another browser some of the settings won't hold, like tracking time.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1672063957334.png

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.
this is very helpful, thanks. I will try this.

and yes I understand what you have said but the purpose of this thread was how easy it was to set up these cameras with a Lorex DVR. The NVR does recognize the camera, but there is no picture. The dot is red next to the feed. So I was told to register it, this is where I ran into issues. I will follow your steps and see if this fixes it. Thank you for the help

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you solo the camera does it show the feed? Maybe the substream quality is too high and isn't displaying in multiview?

pred43

n3wb
Reaction score
If you solo the camera does it show the feed? Maybe the substream quality is too high and isn't displaying in multiview?
It does not show solo either, tried that. It’s just a black screen. Camera is working because light comes on with motion, etc. I’m open to changing DVR’s but I do have a Lorex doorbell cam and a cpl of others that work just fine. Just wanted something better for backyard coverage

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @pred43

Yeah, I get it .. would be nice to have your favorite OS run the applications you want .. I'm still wanting for Blue Iris on Linux OS .. but that's ok, Windows has gotten soooooo much better now, and far more stable .. ( honestly, windows has gotten really good, and Mac OS has also .. I remember Mac OS was super unstable before Steve Jobs came back with his NeXTSTEP experience and knowledge .. )

As such, from a business pov:

Most of these cameras are meant to be sold to CCTV installers .. not end users, so unlike the consumer brands ( Ring, Nest, etc ) the OEM has little reason to support Mac OS as they can expect the installers to use the tools which work best for the cameras.

That noted, Mac OS .. I'd use either Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion and a windows OS and the appropriate software to configure ..

or buy a super cheap used business class PC from HP or Dell to run Window on it .. ( sometimes as low as $100-150 ) ..

Then I'd run the OEMs configuration tool .. or the windows browser config you need.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At this point then you might be exceeding the rated bandwidth capacity of the NVR.

For kicks make the t180 h264, lowest resolution it has, 5 FPS and 400 bit rate.

If you get an image then you know you are overpowering the NVR.

pred43

n3wb
Reaction score
At this point then you might be exceeding the rated bandwidth capacity of the NVR.

For kicks make the t180 h264, lowest resolution it has, 5 FPS and 400 bit rate.

If you get an image then you know you are overpowering the NVR.
I’ll try all of this, thank you so much. I’m not sure it will let me change anything though. Anytime I try to goto it it asks me for camera password

pred43

n3wb
Reaction score

1672063957334.png

I must be an idiot. I’ve got IE and I plug the computer into the NVR(I am suppose to do this correct?) I enter in the default IP into the browser and it just says site can’t be reached. I must be missing an obvious step. Much appreciate the assistance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I must be an idiot. I’ve got IE and I plug the computer into the NVR(I am suppose to do this correct?) I enter in the default IP into the browser and it just says site can’t be reached. I must be missing an obvious step. Much appreciate the assistance.
Are you trying to reach the IP address of the camera or the NVR?

What is the IP address you are trying to reach? What is the IP address of your computer? What is the IP address of your LAN (internal network)?