Corner Hous on dead end

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've been lurking here for awhile and finally got the money together to install a system and could use some help. I"m camera and computer savvy, there's just too many options.
My total budget is roughly $1,200 for everything (pc, cams, cables, etc) with Blue Iris on a refurbed Dell (or something on sale). I've got a Foscam F18918w at the backdoor for the moment but there's been a lot of drug activity around lately so it's time to upgrade.
My house is the corner one. The street going to the left is a dead end; people still come flying around the corner.
How should I cover this place?

bpkKAW.jpg cZvTRF.jpg 8LPp5g.jpg Q2fIyF.jpg

MoeSizzlac

n3wb
Reaction score
New guy here (opinion) - If you are protecting your house, I would cover all points of entry. Mounted cameras on the corners of your soffits facing down the line of the house to cover vulnerable windows or back doors is important. I would also want the front door and driveway covered as well. If you have a side of a house where there are no windows or means of entry, I would ignore it. Not knowing the full extent of your situation or where all windows are located, I would start with the below and add/subtract accordingly depending on window locations.

bpkKAW.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Walrus...in my opinion...while cameras are very important, there are many other steps one can take to harden one's property. IMO, the bad guys will always choose the softest available target. If the bad guy perceives stiff resistance, or watchful eyes, then he will move on to a softer target. No bad guy wants a hassle; they want to get in and get out, and not get hurt or confronted. Video surveillance signs help harden a target, as does a well placed NRA sticker or two. A marine corps decal or flag helps. A dog helps. Cameras which are visible help. Not leaving bikes or equipment in plain view helps. Good doors and locks help. Take a "holistic" approach when working to harden your property and don't rely solely on cameras. IMO, while a prime hardener, cameras generally allow you to watch the crime happen...usually after the fact. twocents.gif

Reaction score
Thanks guys... there's sooo much stuff to learn. I'm going to get a couple bullets pointing towards the gates and a turret in the garden to watch the heroin dealer across the street. Any idea which is more compatible with Blue Iris- Hikvision or Dahua?