Controlling an internal CCTV to only record/stream when required

Reaction score
Hopefully a simple question.
We are installing a CCTV camera in our community hall to live stream meetings and other open events to YouTube which can be embedded in our website. This is fairly easy to set up if the camera supports RMTP protocol. However we only want the stream to work at certain times to ensure privacy for other hall users e.g. we don't want the Yoga or Mother and Toddlers club live streamed to to the internet!!
We are going for a POE IP camera like this so power will be provided over the Cat5E cable.

Presumably the easiest option would be to use the power supply to control when the camera is streaming. I am assuming all settings (rtmp settings, Zoom/focus settings etc) in the camera will be stored in non volatile memory so should remain every time the camera is turned off. However two questions:-
1) How do we interrupt the power? Is there a POE breakout box which allows disconnection of the power. Could this be done with an 8 pole switch or relays?
2) Presumably modern CCTV IP cameras are designed to be connected and powered on all the time. Will disconnecting and reconnecting the power every month cause long term damage to the camera?
As an alternative perhaps I can block the signal from the camera without turning it on and off. Are there any physical switches for ethernet cable? I did find this which is more of a diverter but might work as an isolator but not sure if it will work with POE and of the effect on signal quality.
Any other suggestions also welcome with the following caveats .
  • Any solution must be simple and easy for end users e.g. flipping a switch or zapping a remote control.
  • They can't be expected to log into the camera or router and change IP settings etc
  • Preferably not unplugging the cable from the POE switch.
Many thanks

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have power local to the camera? I think the easiest method would be to power the camera with 12V power supply into a standard socket and then end-users can simply toggle the socket. Alternatively you could spur off any mains circuit and have a dedicated 'light switch' labeled "stream camera" or similar. Obviously if you are not competent you will need to hire an electrician to make these changes.

Reaction score
Thank you Hikky_b
I was almost coming to that conclusion ;). However as the hall as already been refurbished and redecorated and we had the foresight to include a Cat 5 cable to the possible camera location, POE seemed the most sensible solution.
There is power fairly close to the proposed location so could run 12v to the camera. The only thing I was trying to do was keep all the audio visual controls in one location within an AV cabinet on the stage, rather than users having to c set up microphones on the stage and then remember to walk to the other end of the hall and switch a switch. However I suppose I could use a wifi relay?

In the meantime I would be interested to hear from other people about physical ethernet switches and the effect of turning the camera on and off regularly.
Fozzie

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes, disconnecting the power will be the easiest. My interior camera is only connected while out of my house, with no issues. Looking for a camera with streaming capabilities (rtmp), will serve both for stream/storage/edit in YT, while only the service is required. If not in use, create the habit of disconnecting the camera (power off)

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you might also need to setup a monitor or screen near to the switch or button to "see" exactly what the camera is seeing now..

nobody want to "accidently" broadcast anything unintentionally when they "think" that the camera has been switched off.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you Hikky_b
I was almost coming to that conclusion ;). However as the hall as already been refurbished and redecorated and we had the foresight to include a Cat 5 cable to the possible camera location, POE seemed the most sensible solution.
There is power fairly close to the proposed location so could run 12v to the camera. The only thing I was trying to do was keep all the audio visual controls in one location within an AV cabinet on the stage, rather than users having to c set up microphones on the stage and then remember to walk to the other end of the hall and switch a switch. However I suppose I could use a wifi relay?

In the meantime I would be interested to hear from other people about physical ethernet switches and the effect of turning the camera on and off regularly.
Fozzie
Yes that makes sense - POE will definitely make for a tidier install. Thinking out loud - I suppose you could just use a controllable socket and have the POE injector plugged into that in the AV cabinet. Unless you've got rock solid wifi, consider something like Quinetic switches (Quinetic Wireless Switches). You can then stick the switch/switches anywhere you like as they don't require power.

I've never had any experience with Ethernet physical switches so cannot comment on those.

I've had no problems with cameras being constantly switched on/off in the past. Had a workshop setup that would switch cameras on with lights. Obviously this might not apply to all ip cams but I can't see why it would be problematic.

I'd also recommend a static ip for the camera otherwise it may be assigned different IP's upon booting.

Reaction score
Yes that makes sense - POE will definitely make for a tidier install. Thinking out loud - I suppose you could just use a controllable socket and have the POE injector plugged into that in the AV cabinet. Unless you've got rock solid wifi, consider something like Quinetic switches (Quinetic Wireless Switches). You can then stick the switch/switches anywhere you like as they don't require power.

I've never had any experience with Ethernet physical switches so cannot comment on those.

I've had no problems with cameras being constantly switched on/off in the past. Had a workshop setup that would switch cameras on with lights. Obviously this might not apply to all ip cams but I can't see why it would be problematic.

I'd also recommend a static ip for the camera otherwise it may be assigned different IP's upon booting.
I like the idea of a POE injector in the AV cabinet :) that would allow POE and still allow local switching. Now why didn't I think of that LOL. Also Holiday's suggestion of a monitor to see what is streaming could be included in/on the AV cabinet. One of those 8" LCD screens from China would achieve the desired result.
Fozzie

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider plugging the power cord to the POE switch or the cam's 12VDC power cube with a foot switch, which can be very conspicuous, properly labeled and placed on a desktop or wall:

footswitch.jpg