Controling Cams at multiple locations?

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 3 cams at one location and then 2 more at another location. I am controlling the panning of the cam every 10 minutes and also doing a snapshot and upload every 10 minutes. It works fine but I wonder, is Blue Iris constantly connected to the remote cams or is it just a command issued every 10 minutes per feature?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 cams at one location and then 2 more at another location. I am controlling the panning of the cam every 10 minutes and also doing a snapshot and upload every 10 minutes. It works fine but I wonder, is Blue Iris constantly connected to the remote cams or is it just a command issued every 10 minutes per feature?
if you are streaming video, then yes its always connected...then there is a separate command issued to tell the camera to move...the snapshot is taken by blue iris from the video feed.

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not streaming constant video. I'm auto updating a video site every 10 minutes. I didn't want to take a lot of bandwidth from the online applications we use.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not streaming constant video. I'm auto updating a video site every 10 minutes. I didn't want to take a lot of bandwidth from the online applications we use.

Thanks
If blue iris is connected to the remote cams, are you not constantly seeing the video feed?

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have it set up as a service so the Blue Iris screens are not even loaded. I thought that was the benefit of using the service option.

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This would not be bad for a local network machine but I don't know about doing this for a remote cam. Might be better just to get a second copy of BI.
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This would not be bad for a local network machine but I don't know about doing this for a remote cam. Might be better just to get a second copy of BI.
Thanks
Yes, that is the best solution.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Critterles or Fenderman,

I would like to connect remotely to several cameras at another location. What was your solution to achieve this? I want 24/7 streaming and recording, but would prefer to use my single copy of BI installed in my home. The remote location is not secure enough to place a PC with BI running.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Critterles or Fenderman,

I would like to connect remotely to several cameras at another location. What was your solution to achieve this? I want 24/7 streaming and recording, but would prefer to use my single copy of BI installed in my home. The remote location is not secure enough to place a PC with BI running.
you can do it, but make sure you dont have a bandwidth cap...

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've done this to originally test my remote cams. You need a PC at the remote location to get it set up. A tool like IP Camera can find and display all the cams internal IP address'. You will also use the cam software to install the cam and set the user and password. After you have that, you can sign into the router, Port Forwarding, and set up a port forward for each cam. I.E. xx.xx.xx.xx:8091. At that point you find the external IP address by going to something like https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address or just search for find my IP and it will show it to you. When you are at home, go into Blue Iris and add a cam. It will ask for the IP, the port and user & Password. At that time, you can open the cam on your home screen.

This will use a lot of bandwidth depending on how many cams you are accessing. Recording a lot of cams 24/7 remotely may dramatically slow down your net activity depending on your provider.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your response. I was hoping I could remotely view and record cameras without an additional PC at the remote site given the security challenges. Any thoughts on how I can solve this without a remote PC?

What kind of bandwidth do you feel is needed? At the host location I have 200MB down and 30MB up. Remote location will not be as robust. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your response. I was hoping I could remotely view and record cameras without an additional PC at the remote site given the security challenges. Any thoughts on how I can solve this without a remote PC?

What kind of bandwidth do you feel is needed? At the host location I have 200MB down and 30MB up. Remote location will not be as robust. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
You dont need a pc at the remote location..only for the initial setup of the port forwarding.
At the remote location the upload speed is what will matter.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My fault!! I didn't read the entire post. thanks very much!!

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You said:At the host location I have 200MB down and 30MB up. This sounds pretty limited. You couldn't even download a standard movie. If you have to pay extra for exceeding your download limit, this is going to cost you a lot of money.