Continuous + Triggered

Dorsey Pender

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a response back from Ken regarding this but don’t know what a sub stream is and didn’t want to bug him.

“The continuous + options records the sub stream continuously but the main stream only when triggered or alerted.”

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep that is what the BI help file says it is and it does perform just like that.

That would be within the camera itself. Most have a substream that is less quality (and thus less storage and bandwidth) than the mainstream.

So when nothing is happening, it is recording the lower quality substream, and then when something happens it switches over to the mainstream higher resolution video.

So the question is do you want 24/7 recording and do you want the substream to mainstream option that saves storage space or just record continuous and be only mainstream.

Or do you record just when triggered or alerts?

Plenty of options to chose based on what you are trying to accomplish.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Most cameras are capable of multiple video streams. Stream 1 is usually at full resolution and high bit rates. The subsequent streams are at lower resolution and lower bit rates. What BI does if sub streams are used is to record continuously from the sub stream, which save significant amounts of disk space, and switch to the main stream for alerts so full detail, resolution, is available.

Using sub streams, in my case, allows for storage of about a month versus a week for full resolution only. It also unload the CPU significantly and will drop utilization very significantly as well, typically dropping by a factor of three to four. So, if your CPU is running at 50% using full resolution continuous recording switching to sub streams, continuous-triggered or continuou-alerts, will drop the CPU utilization to as low as 15% or so.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Triggers will be for everything that triggers the camera and alerts will be the ones confirmed by DeepStack. So if you are not running DeepStack then use triggers.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That explains something for me..... the one who reads after clicking on shit ends in failure.
LOL - usually most issues with BI (or anything LOL) comes down to user error :p I can make fun of it because I do it to LOL.

We see many people come here saying it isn't working and when they post screenshots we see they were changing things they thought would be good and actually made it worse LOL.

My favorite is the person that comes on here complaining their CPU is running high and claims they have done EVERY optimization, and then when you ask for screenshots, you see they didn't implement the substreams and that is probably the biggest CPU saver their is LOL. "Oh I didn't think that one was important"....the wiki exists for a reason LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I make changes once in awhile, and then go repair something in the Bldg, and come back and see how it's behaving.
Same LOL - sometimes for the better, but usually for the worse LOL.

Right now I am failing miserably at trying to get clean capture of a driver in a car at night LOL. I had the camera set up great for a location and what not and thought "hmm maybe I could use this camera to ID drivers in the middle of the night". So I will probably move the camera back to its original place tomorrow.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, the different window tints and angles im seeing as they drive in the garage makes them all different. I tried With the “illuminator” on, and got about 50 % ID’ed. But My results are biased because I know all my residents faces, and what car they drive.

WimNL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Triggers will be for everything that triggers the camera and alerts will be the ones confirmed by DeepStack. So if you are not running DeepStack then use triggers.
Hmmm.... Clear explanation! Will check my system now... Could be the reason why not everything is working like I would like to be seeing it....
And yes... Clicking on things and lateron thinking: maybe a bit of reading was better and saved a lot of time....

Last edited:

WimNL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use IVS on the 5442 and it is working good to be honest... But if I understand you correct I should use the option: "continous + Triggered"?

I can always test it, but to save me a lot of time I thought: better to ask first;)

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use ether depending on exactly what you're trying to do. I use continuous+alerts just to make sure nothing gets missed. Continuous+triggered means that BI, and DS if that's in use and the option is selected, must detect motion before it is flagged on the timeline.

WimNL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use ether depending on exactly what you're trying to do. I use continuous+alerts just to make sure nothing gets missed. Continuous+triggered means that BI, and DS if that's in use and the option is selected, must detect motion before it is flagged on the timeline.
Now I fully understand. I'll leave it on 'alerts'