Computer question.

freqflyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman posted this in another thread.

Welcome to the forum. Dont use AMD, they are inefficient and should never be used for a 24/7 NVR. Buy dell 7020/9020 i7 haswell optiplex for under 500 when they are on sale at the outlet. You dont need 16gb of ram. 8 is more than enough.
Hardware acceleration has not yet been implement so we dont know about the cards...it should be out soon.

Can you elaborate as to wich 7020 or 7090 would be best.

I plan to have as many as 12 cameras when my system is complete. Is this possible? I'm not sure of their quality. I have the idea of using 3mp or 4mp for large areas and something smaller at doorways to capture faces.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman posted this in another thread.

Welcome to the forum. Dont use AMD, they are inefficient and should never be used for a 24/7 NVR. Buy dell 7020/9020 i7 haswell optiplex for under 500 when they are on sale at the outlet. You dont need 16gb of ram. 8 is more than enough.
Hardware acceleration has not yet been implement so we dont know about the cards...it should be out soon.

Can you elaborate as to wich 7020 or 7090 would be best.

I plan to have as many as 12 cameras when my system is complete. Is this possible? I'm not sure of their quality. I have the idea of using 3mp or 4mp for large areas and something smaller at doorways to capture faces.
You would certainly need an i7-4790 haswell 7020/9020 model. They have already released skylake processors and it might be worthwhile... It will be very difficult to push 12x4mp cameras even on a haswell i7 unless you lower the frame rates to 7 or so ...I would suggest waiting until the end of the month when hardware acceleration is released.

freqflyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not all of the cameras will be 4mp. I'm planning on putting smaller ones, maybe 1080p, cameras by the door way to capture faces. I don't think I will need better resolution there since the distance will be only a few feet.
I am curious as to how many mbs or mega pixels X frame X second is possible. Is there a formula. Like your example. 12 times 4 times 7 would be 336 MP a second or something like that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not all of the cameras will be 4mp. I'm planning on putting smaller ones, maybe 1080p, cameras by the door way to capture faces. I don't think I will need better resolution there since the distance will be only a few feet.
I am curious as to how many mbs or mega pixels X frame X second is possible. Is there a formula. Like your example. 12 times 4 times 7 would be 336 MP a second or something like that?

The bitrate is irrelevant. There is no formula...even at 1080p, 12 cameras should be run on an i7 haswell/skylake...if you wait until the end of the month, we will know what hardware acceleration will do performance wise.

freqflyer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you saying the number of cameras has more to do with it then the mp of the cameras?