Comparative specs of two dashcam models - now with link to video samples

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was searching for a dashcam to retrofit in my car and came across a possibility that looks promising.
From what I have read in this forum regarding cams in general, an increase in resolution without increase in sensor size can be counter productive.
Of course surveillance cams and dash cams are different contexts.
I posed a question to the manufacturer/seller and got a reply which I share below.
Request input from forum members.

The question in my mind is whether I would be better off with the lower resolution camera, or if there is a true benefit in the higher resolution dashcam.
The choices are:
  • Front 4K (2160P)
  • Front 4K + Rear 1080P
  • Front 1440P + Rear 1080P
I asked about sensors in the above choices, and this is what I heard back (they are going to send comparative video footage in the next few days):
“ 1440P photosensitive chip is GC4653.
4K photosensitive chip is also GC4653.
However, the 1440P CPU is Novatek 96675, and its maximum resolution is only 1440P.
The CPU of the 4K version is Novatek 96670, and its maximum resolution is 4K.
The quality of the front camera is not the same.
In addition, although the rear cameras are all 1080P, the picture quality of the 96670 rear camera is better than that of the 96675.”

What do folks here think, given the above info?

Last edited:

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As promised, they sent the comparative video footage:
2023 0608 4K VS 2K video footage.zip

I opened up the samples from the lower res cam and the 4K cam side by side on identical monitors.
At first I thought one sample was showing license plates clearer than the other.
Upon more careful viewing, I concluded they are about the same in terms of readability

To my eyes the lower res cam video feels more natural.
The one billed as 4K feels "post-processed."
Kind of like if you made a nice photograph on a digital camera, and then went to town with all the nifty tools in image editing software.

I do appreciate that they sent comparative video.