clips and archiving

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I read the help file and I've started experimenting but it's confusing. I want to set it up so that files are automatically deleted from the storage drive to keep it from filling up. Can anyone give me a quick run through of how this works? Do I need to do the combine cut feature on each camera or can I just turn that off and manage the files globally?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Combine and cut has nothing to do with storage
.. Simply set storage limits based on your drive size it's self explanatory

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Combine and cut has nothing to do with storage
.. Simply set storage limits based on your drive size it's self explanatory
So I did some experimenting, it deletes files once the folder exceeds the quota but it didn't seem to delete any files until recording was stopped on those and new files created. I haven't tried having it just record one continuous file for each camera so I'm not sure what it does when you reach the folder quota limit with only one file per camera that is recording when the quota is reached.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I did some experimenting, it deletes files once the folder exceeds the quota but it didn't seem to delete any files until recording was stopped on those and new files created. I haven't tried having it just record one continuous file for each camera so I'm not sure what it does when you reach the folder quota limit with only one file per camera that is recording when the quota is reached.
If you are using combine and cut set it to reasonable sizes

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack but my question is so similar to the OPs it may even be the same thing. My goal is to keep an archive of 7 days for each camera. How do I keep a running archive of 7 days in the Stored folder (or any folder)? It would seem if I set a capacity limit then delete, it will simply delete ALL files in the stored folder. I only want to delete one day at a time, or the oldest day of the seven day archive. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack but my question is so similar to the OPs it may even be the same thing. My goal is to keep an archive of 7 days for each camera. How do I keep a running archive of 7 days in the Stored folder (or any folder)? It would seem if I set a capacity limit then delete, it will simply delete ALL files in the stored folder. I only want to delete one day at a time, or the oldest day of the seven day archive. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
You must first set a size limit for each folder as blue iris cannot store more data than your hard drive can hold...you can further limit storage to days which is silly since if you have room who cares...keeps as much footage as you can. I will not delete all the old files, it will only delete older files as needed to store new data.

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay got it. So I currently have (2) 8tb drives spanned together to give me a little over 14tb of total storage space. I have my "New" folder size limit set at 1tb plus I ticked the option to limit clip age to one day......then move files to the "Stored" folder where the limit is set to 13tb. Once that limit is reached it is set to "Delete." What you are saying is that it will not delete everything, only the oldest files first to maintain the size limit. Is that correct? Should I even worry about ticking the option to limit clip age to one day? Thanks for clarifying these steps. I have read the manual, but these details are fuzzy....to me anyway.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay got it. So I currently have (2) 8tb drives spanned together to give me a little over 14tb of total storage space. I have my "New" folder size limit set at 1tb plus limiting files to one day......then move files to the "Stored" folder where the limit is set to 13tb. Once that limit is reached it is set to "Delete." What you are saying is that it will not delete everything though, only the oldest files first to maintain the size limit. Is that correct? Should I even worry about ticking the option to limit files to one day? Thanks for clarifying these steps. I have read the manual, but these details are fuzzy....to me anyway.
correct...make sure to leave some free space..at least 5 percent...also check blue iris status (three vertical bar icon on top) and make sure you have not over allocated space. Remember 1tb does not equal 1000gb...
you really dont need separate new and stored folders..,if you have two drives and lots of cams, you would likely be better off splitting half the cams to each drive...

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay that makes sense. I am familiar with the base 2 vs. base 10 values of allocating hard drive space and have left sufficient room so as not to overload the drive. I have (10) 4mp cams recording @ 20fps continuous. Your recommendation is to split 5 cams to each drive rather than spanning the drives to store all at once? Is it easier for the drives to handle the read/write like that? My drives are Seagate Skyhawks, designed for surveillance. if that makes any difference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay that makes sense. I am familiar with the base 2 vs. base 10 values of allocating hard drive space and have left sufficient room so as not to overload the drive. I have (10) 4mp cams recording @ 20fps continuous. Your recommendation is to split 5 cams to each drive rather than spanning the drives to store all at once? Is it easier for the drives to handle the read/write like that? My drives are Seagate Skyhawks, designed for surveillance. if that makes any difference.
I have never used the skyhawks...seagates have lately gotten bad wrap....most here use WD purple...you will be fine recording all cams to a single drive, but since you already have two, you might get smoother performance if you split it up, but more importantly, it gives you some backup if a single drive fails, half your cams will still record to the other..

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay I will give that a whirl. Thank you for the help sir.

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok bringing this topic back up. My setup is a 120 GB SSD with just the OS and Blue Iris on it and a 2TB hard drive for storage (until my new purples come in). I have set New folder to keep 25GB and then move it to Stored which is on the 2TB drive. It will remain on the 2TB until it fills up and then I have it set to delete.

Is this what most people are doing or are you just recording straight to your storage drives and bypassing the OS/Blue Iris drive? I figured since it is SSD it may run quicker by saving the clips there initially.