Clips and archiving question

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have 4 Hikvision ds-2cd3332 cameras and use the latest version of BI. So I have a folder structure that looks like this:

E: drive (128 GB SSD)
e:\BlueIris\db
e:\BlueIris\New (files stay here for 14 days)

F: drive (2 TB HDD)
f:\stored (files stay here for 3 months)

G: drive (4 TB HDD)
g:\alerts (files stay here forever, within drive storage limits)
g:\archive - manually sorted files, stay forever (within drive storage limits). Create a Year directory, then a sub directory with Month name. All done through BI.

My question is with the alerts directory. Right now it has 345,xxx files in it and takes quite a while to open in Windows (7 x64) explorer and once in a while causes BI to delay quite a while (30 seconds) to open while the directory is read. I have verified this by monitoring disk activity on the G drive when I open BI.

So, I see that I can't archive, move or export alerts, they have to remain in one gigantic directory. I have a JPEG taken with alerts so there is a mixture of .jpg and .bvr files in there. I don't really like the idea of deleting alerts just for the sake of maintaining a practical limit on a directory size...so...

What does everyone else do to keep their alerts directory practical?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I see that I can't archive, move or export alerts, they have to remain in one gigantic directory. I have a JPEG taken with alerts so there is a mixture of .jpg and .bvr files in there. I don't really like the idea of deleting alerts just for the sake of maintaining a practical limit on a directory size...so...

What does everyone else do to keep their alerts directory practical?
Welcome to the forum. Is there a specific reason you are saving the high res alert images? You have the video so why would you ever need the alerts?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks!

I like having the alert images (like a bookmark into the video file) in the image list along the right hand side of BI. I was under the assumption (possible incorrect) that if I uncheck the option Camera Properties -> Record -> Create Alert list images when triggered I would lose those. However, I'm guessing that there is still an alert created in the video file that would appear on the timeline view along the bottom, so there is still a way to view alerts without the .jpg images?

I have no particular reason to have the .jpgs like you said since I have the video anyway.

So, if I uncheck that checkbox, I will have just bvr's listed along the right side?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I like having the alert images (like a bookmark into the video file) in the image list along the right hand side of BI. I was under the assumption (possible incorrect) that if I uncheck the option Camera Properties -> Record -> Create Alert list images when triggered I would lose those. However, I'm guessing that there is still an alert created in the video file that would appear on the timeline view along the bottom, so there is still a way to view alerts without the .jpg images?

I have no particular reason to have the .jpgs like you said since I have the video anyway.

So, if I uncheck that checkbox, I will have just bvr's listed along the right side?
Leave create alerts checked ( you need this for the timeline markers) this only generates a very low res alert image stored in the database. Uncheck store alerts as high res files and no further files will be stored in the alerts folder. You can delete the files in the alerts folder.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. I made these changes and deleted all of my .jpg images and have it just the way I want it now without all of the unnecessary files.