Cheapest Hardware for Milestone

Classsic

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm setting for 1st time milestone, what hardware do you recommend as a minimum?
I want h264 hw-accel, and if somebody have experience working with h265 hw-accel.
Thanks.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which Milestone XProtect license are you planning to buy?

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll want a computer with an intel chip with the HD graphics for a low end. It will take advantage of the built in graphics processor to make things much more efficient than a regular CPU without graphics, or an AMD chip. Up to 8 cams, it depends on the resolution, FPS, and encoding. The mobile server can bog down a cpu as well, but it will take advantage of the built in intel hd graphics as well. Let us know more specs on what you plan on doing.

Reaction score
Hi @Classsic

rsoxhater is correct if you are running an all in one machine you will need to take into consideration the resolution, frame rate and of course h.265 encoding. There are minimum specifications as per adamg's post but just be wary that is the bare minimum and that doesn't always suit every single solution. Make sure that you use 5th gen or newer Intel Chipset to take full advantage of the intel HD hardware acceleration or a cheap Nvidia card like a K200 will also provide you reasonable performance.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to test the free version, up to 8 cam.
I run Milestone Xprotect Essential+ in an ESXi VM with 4 vCPU @ 2.0GHz and 8GB ram, H.264 w/ no HW acceleration. I get 10-15 FPS recording on all 5 cameras I own concurrently, including a 4K camera (was shocked). Other cameras are two 4MP and two 5MP. Try THAT with ZoneMinder! ;)

BTW Essential+ is pretty limited, there's no H.265 or hw acceleration, no intelligent motion detection, no access control device support. But it's rock solid and gets high frame rates on relatively inexpensive hardware.

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run Milestone Xprotect Essential+ in an ESXi VM with 4 vCPU @ 2.0GHz and 8GB ram, H.264 w/ no HW acceleration. I get 10-15 FPS recording on all 5 cameras I own concurrently, including a 4K camera (was shocked). Other cameras are two 4MP and two 5MP. Try THAT with ZoneMinder! ;)

BTW Essential+ is pretty limited, there's no H.265 or hw acceleration, no intelligent motion detection, no access control device support. But it's rock solid and gets high frame rates on relatively inexpensive hardware.
@AveryFreeman I have plenty of Essentials+ installs that are running H.265 and hardware acceleration. Your setup won't have any hardware acceleration available on the recording side likely since they are vCPU's. It definitely does support the Intel HD and Nvidia hardware acceleration for smart client and also on the server itself. The mobile client takes huge advantage of hardware acceleration as well.

The main limitations on Essentials+ is 8 cams, that is likely the only limit anyone looking to do a few cameras would hit. Most of the other features that are limited would be enterprise only.

Classsic

n3wb
Reaction score

Yes, that´s true, the perfomance of milestone is awesome!
I´m developer, and try zoneminder,ispy,etc..and yes, the performance of milestone is very good. I don´t like the complex of installation, with all dependency, but is a good piece of software.
About hw acceleration, are you sure there is no hw accel for h264?

Reaction score
Milestone supports both hardware acceleration for h.264 and H.265 on the recorder /mobile server and client side using as
@rsoxhater mentioned. Through it's entire range. Motion detection hardware acceleration on Essentials +, Express+ and Professional + only use Intel and not Nvidia. as for the client and mobile server they use both and for Expert and Corporate they two use both. In a VM environment this is also possible using Nvidia GPU's. If you look in their comparison chart tool both codecs are supported as per the following link on page 3

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would say the nvidia acceleration is much more important for the mobile server, and the smart client when viewing cameras, which it takes advantage of on all versions. I haven't seen motion detection cause much cpu usage even on recording servers with 30 cameras at 20 fps on each camera. But, trying to run the smart client to view that many cameras will crush a regular cpu, and even stress the lower end of the nvidia video cards milestone supports. Likewise for the mobile server trying to transcode that many streams for viewing in the app.

Last edited:

mythosmc

n3wb
Reaction score
Milestone supports both hardware acceleration for h.264 and H.265 on the recorder /mobile server and client side using as
@rsoxhater mentioned. Through it's entire range. Motion detection hardware acceleration on Essentials +, Express+ and Professional + only use Intel and not Nvidia. as for the client and mobile server they use both and for Expert and Corporate they two use both. In a VM environment this is also possible using Nvidia GPU's. If you look in their comparison chart tool both codecs are supported as per the following link on page 3
Say it aint so!! :( my R710 CPU doesn't support QuickSync AND I can't use NVIDIA? :(

I was looking to boost the performance of my home NVR

Reaction score
Say it aint so!! :( my R710 CPU doesn't support QuickSync AND I can't use NVIDIA? :(

I was looking to boost the performance of my home NVR
Yes that is correct, most server based CPU's do not support Quicksync and is only supported on i3,i5,i7and now i9 series chips.