Cheap Graphics card

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of us here do not have a graphics card installed and do not have a problem.

This!

I am having freezing issues with my Windows 10 machine, and removed the older (Nvidia GT 730) graphics card, relying on the onboard Intel HD 4000 graphics. I don't see an issue with performance or CPU utilization. I am running substreams and most of the optimization tricks with 10 2 MP+ cameras with sub 20% CPU. No issues at all.

duckmavis

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed a Quadro P400 in my AMD 3950X BI sever and are using it to decode 4 out of my 12 4mp cams the other 8 cams are being decoded with a GeForce GTX 1050 TI. I was able to have the Quadro P400 decode up to 6 4MP cams and the GeForce GTX 1050 TI decode up to 9 4MP cams any more BI would revert back to software decode. From what I can tell the limiting factor is how much memory the card has. As I add more cams to decode with the card the memory usage goes up and just before almost 90% memory usage BI reverts back to software decode. With all my cams being decoded with the video card this leaves all of the CPU power for DeepStack. If I run a DeepStack test and tune the CPU usage goes up to about 65% and normal usage is about 4%.
Wait, isn’t cpu decoding with intel better than using a cpu? Pretty sure you could let your cpu do the decoding and that p400 could do the deepstack in pretty good times. Let me know if I’m dead wrong though

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, isn’t cpu decoding with intel better than using a cpu? Pretty sure you could let your cpu do the decoding and that p400 could do the deepstack in pretty good times. Let me know if I’m dead wrong though
My system has an AMD CPU and I recently upgraded the GPU to a GeForce RTX 3060

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a 710 or 730. they were $39 bucks new way back when 1080Ti's were hitting the crazy pricepoints around $300 or higher. the video card didn't seem to make any difference. so I took it out.
I used it for awhile in my 1st BI machine. But that machine was a cobble job. I couldn't tell which hardware was doing funky stuff on performance issues.
Turned out to be mostly the WD BLue drives lagging.
then I got the Elitedesk g4 800 sff and everything has been pretty good.

tofu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Note that sensai claims they will support coral tpu. That will be the ultimate low power solution if true.